Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting one of those vibratory cleaning machines. The ones with the bowl on top of a vibrating machine, using media, walnut shells, etc. to clean rusty parts, etc. they are commonly used for polishing rocks. I would like to use one on bolts, small brackets, and stuff. I hate the wire wheel, especially on really small parts.

Has anyone used one? They have them at Eastwood, Harbor a freight ,etc.
The reviews say they work well but take a long time.

My questions are;
Do they work good enough to spend the money?
Does the big one (18lb) work better than the small one (5lb)? Or just more capacity?
What media do you recommend for rusty bolts?
Will the large one work with small brackets, like from an alternator?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They work fantstic - just have to be careful which media with what type of material to get polished/cleaned. 5 lbs doesn't go very far - I'd get the big one. (But they do work better when full)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got mine a few months ago.....I like Eastwoods stuff but for some reason had a tough time on their newer 18lb tumbler....my hunch...China junk.....I got 2 new untis from them and both of them ran once and burned up...made sure it was not my outlets or anything I was doing strange...asked their tech department to check out my last returned unit for some advice but never heard back...I ended up buying an older unit 2008 (used on Fleabay) for about 30% less than a new one and it has worked great.....as mentioned above..I would use it full but do not overload the weight on it...especially if you are using a combined wash and media...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i have a very large on we use to deburr parts in---inside corners are really tough while o'side corners will get done---be careful if your using solid style media that might go down a hole and become lodged---trust me , the1" media will get into a 1/2 hole!!!----i've beemn using some very soft 5" soft brass wire wheels on a cheepo bench grinder---not enough hp to get you in trouble and won't tear up you fingers eitherdoctordesoto

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback, ya talked me in to it. I ordered the 18lb'er. I should have it Monday and will post some feedback after I run through some rusty parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts