Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Quick question here. Just dropped in my engine and I am getting a pretty bad vibration when I rev the motor. I was wondering if the trans mount could cause this. The motor mounts are new. I closed off all the vacuum just to rule out a vacuum leak. The vibration isn't tires or anything like that as it does it when I'm sitting still in park too. It didn't do it in the car we took it out of. Also, the vibration seems to feel like it's behind the engine maybe, but I'm not sure. It is a pretty bad one though. Anyone have any ideas. I really need to get on the road.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Kirk -

You've gone over the whole ignition system, right? I forget what motor you dropped in there. Sure sounds like a crossed plug wire, or something ignition-related. Does it get worse when you rev the motor, or pretty much stay the same no matter what RPM?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Do you have same harmonic ballancer and fly wheel that were attached in other car. If you changed them or one of them ballance maybe thrown off.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Make sure your AOD is AOK (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun). Seriously, make sure your link between engine and tranny is good (your converter properly seated etc) and make sure you have the right amount of tranny fluid. I'm not sure if there's any way to test whether the tranny pump is working without pulling it out. Could be not enough (or too much) pressure in the tranny fluid pump maybe?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, first off the ignition looks good. Its an MSD 6A and an MSD distributor, so it's pretty foolproof. As to the ballancer, The engine has the 50 oz imballance. I did not switch the ballancer or flexplate. I am using the ones that were on the engine and ballanced professionally, so it's not a ballance issue. As to the tranny, it's a c4. I haven't got around to putting in the AOD yet. It shifted fine prior to the swap. I figured we probably ripped up the mount since we didn't unbolt it when we did the swap. The motor mounts are new. I can look at the engine during this and it really doesn't seem to be shaking too much, but in the car it's violent. Think the tranny may be shot?

·
11,000 Posts
Do a compression check. You probably have one or two valves adjusted too tight, causing a loss of compression and resulting roughness. A compression check will quickly identify which cylinder's valve is leaking.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some T-bird guys on my friends forum have suggested rotating the flexplate 180 degrees, so I'm about to try that. The mount failed to correct it. That failing, I am going to take Royce's advice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Try and determine if the vibration is equal to the rev. of the engine in park or neutral.If it is, the problem would be with balance or a broken flexplate. I have had a few bad torque converters. You can take the converter to a shop and have it checked for balance.

·
11,000 Posts
The flex plate cannot be rotated 180 degrees. It only fits on the crank one way due to the hole spacing.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was just thinking that. My flexplate would only fo on one way due to the bolt hole spacing. I would look at the torque converter. Is it attached completely? No loose nuts? Also make sure that the flexplate is tight to the crank.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When you bolted the transmission to the engine, was the bell housing up against the block or did you pull the bell housing to the block with the bell housing bolts?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i pulled it snug with the bolts....from your tone, i assume this to be bad. at any rate, I took it to the shop, but they have yet to touch it, so if there is a simple fix......

·
Registered
429 Posts
You're right, it's a bad thing. Most likely what has happened was that the torque converter wasn't properly seated in the transmission and when you pulled the bellhousing to the block with the bolts, you jammed the torque converter into the pump thereby possibly ruining the pump and the torque converter.

I hope that isn't the case, though. Hopefully the shop will be able to find a cheap and easy fix. Keep us posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts