Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my transmission rebuilt and now I have a vibration coming from the middle or possibly the rearend. It occurs when Im doin about 55 mph and sometimes even lower or higher speeds. Anybody know what went wrong or is wrong??

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try moving the drive shaft 180 degrees on the rear pinnion. That somtimes works.
Randy Feuillerat

·
Registered
992 Posts
was the transmission mount replaced? if not replace it, they are cheap. if replaced, check the bolts. transmission mounts can make this kind of vibration. loose lug nuts can also make this vibration, along with a variety of other things, but what I mention can be easily checked.

Kevin

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
If the U joints were not replaced I would replace those too. One could have got damaged when the drive shaft was removed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
- driveline angles?
- properly balanced rear wheels?
- bent rear axles?
- drive axle balance
- rear brake drums balanced/mounted ok
- drive axle comments from posts before

I have a manual shift 67 myself. Had some vibration in stick. Was changing to T5 anyway and hoping that along the way the vibration would be fixed. Cause #1 pilot bushing, #2 clutch balance/centering, #3 bent rear axles.
Tightening up some areas (like the complete drive axle) made vibration from other issues more noticeable. So untill now ''non existant'' issues may have come to light by the new tranny.
Hope 4 ur sake not though!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've had that same low vibration sound around 45-55 with my 67 as well. Have the aftermarket torque converter, but how can I tell if it's out of balance? I did notice last fall (2 years since all stripped down) that the driveshaft had some excessive weld material at the rear near the yoke. I ground it down with my 4 1/2" grinder, and seems like I couldn't find any cracked lines, so hoping it's alright when all back on the car. Will try to post a pic tomorrow. Eric.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts