Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Stacy David this am w/my boys as he's wrenching on the '67 Cougar...he was putting all the important bolts into labeled baggies.

I don't do the baggie thing.

I prefer to grab a piece of cardboard, poke holes in it, label the backside with the needed info & stick the bolts in there. Then, when the "wire wheeling phase" hits you can pull them out one by one & git r done. It makes painting them a snap as well. If the project is going to take a while they store easy, & with different sized bolts you can keep track of the proper position.

That's my big, time saving tip.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
I've used this method before. Works well for getting the correct bolts back in the proper location. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had cable so I could watch Gearz too.

·
Registered
1967 Standard Cougar
256 Posts
That's a great way to tell what bolts went where. I did that when I pulled my cougar apart when I was 17. Sold the car and bought the same one back a couple years ago totally trashed with motor seized and half dis-assembled. Fortunately I had a couple years of being a service tech on large cnc machines. we constantly measured bolts and depths so getting all the unknown bolts back on wasn't to bad. Baggies have their place for a large long time dis-assembles thou.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
That's my issue with my Jimmy project. The "mechanic" took apart stuff and never labeled anything. Now I have a project with missing bolts and parts that I have to figure out myself.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's my issue with my Jimmy project. The "mechanic" took apart stuff and never labeled anything. Now I have a project with missing bolts and parts that I have to figure out myself.
same problem here,
can be a pain in the ass somewhile,but eventually i get it fixed

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - card board, or better yet that pink/blue styro insulation board. On complicated pieces with various size bolts I lay it out on the styro in a mirror image, that really helps on assembly.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The only problem with styofoam can be if you try and paint the bolts. Some styofoams react badly with the solvents and can create a real mess. The blue and pink insulation types seem to work better.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Never thought of that will do that next time with some more complicated pieces...Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
305 Posts
Never thought of that will do that next time with some more complicated pieces...Thanks for the tip
When replacing a waterpump, (or other item held down by many fasteners) I will use a sharpie to trace out a rough outline of the pump and then take a phillips screwdriver and punch a hole where a bolt goes. As I take out the bolts I will poke them into the corresponding hole in the cardboard.

Baggies ROCK as far as storage for longer periods. I will NOT do without baggies!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.