Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Stacy David this am w/my boys as he's wrenching on the '67 Cougar...he was putting all the important bolts into labeled baggies.

I don't do the baggie thing.

I prefer to grab a piece of cardboard, poke holes in it, label the backside with the needed info & stick the bolts in there. Then, when the "wire wheeling phase" hits you can pull them out one by one & git r done. It makes painting them a snap as well. If the project is going to take a while they store easy, & with different sized bolts you can keep track of the proper position.

That's my big, time saving tip.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I've used this method before. Works well for getting the correct bolts back in the proper location. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had cable so I could watch Gearz too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a great way to tell what bolts went where. I did that when I pulled my cougar apart when I was 17. Sold the car and bought the same one back a couple years ago totally trashed with motor seized and half dis-assembled. Fortunately I had a couple years of being a service tech on large cnc machines. we constantly measured bolts and depths so getting all the unknown bolts back on wasn't to bad. Baggies have their place for a large long time dis-assembles thou.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
That's my issue with my Jimmy project. The "mechanic" took apart stuff and never labeled anything. Now I have a project with missing bolts and parts that I have to figure out myself.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's my issue with my Jimmy project. The "mechanic" took apart stuff and never labeled anything. Now I have a project with missing bolts and parts that I have to figure out myself.
same problem here,
can be a pain in the ass somewhile,but eventually i get it fixed

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
YEP - card board, or better yet that pink/blue styro insulation board. On complicated pieces with various size bolts I lay it out on the styro in a mirror image, that really helps on assembly.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The only problem with styofoam can be if you try and paint the bolts. Some styofoams react badly with the solvents and can create a real mess. The blue and pink insulation types seem to work better.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I used the cardboard method for a lot of my rebuilding effort. The cardboard doesn't hold up well in the bead blaster. Be nice if there was something laying around the garage that combined the punchability and free-ness of cardboard with resistance to bead blasting.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Never thought of that will do that next time with some more complicated pieces...Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
305 Posts
Never thought of that will do that next time with some more complicated pieces...Thanks for the tip
When replacing a waterpump, (or other item held down by many fasteners) I will use a sharpie to trace out a rough outline of the pump and then take a phillips screwdriver and punch a hole where a bolt goes. As I take out the bolts I will poke them into the corresponding hole in the cardboard.

Baggies ROCK as far as storage for longer periods. I will NOT do without baggies!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts