Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll make this very quick.
I had a 'cup holder" in my window while the window was up. Rolled the window down without removing the cup holder which made my window become off track. I could on of the bars (that normally attaches to the window) hanging down. It's not broken, it just came apart. I removed what I believe to be EVERY screw and bolt imaginable (that I could find), but still there is something towards the top right that wont even let the door budge at the top. I've pulled up, back, wiggled the door panel, REMOVED the nut where the mirror control is... but it's not cooperating. I've also noticed that it's particle board- and I would hate to permanently break or crack my door panel. Please help..

Also, I've tried using the search tool on this site, but it doesn't work. I could easily search this site for anything a year ago, before they changed to the new site format. With that being said- if there's already a Forum/Post for this could you post it here, OR..show my how to correctly use the search.

Please help!!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The door panel hooks over the top of the door. The inner window felt fuzzy is attached to the door panel.

Did you forget to remove the pull strap? Sounds like you removed the arm rest and window crank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies CougarCJ but I'm not very car savvy. I'm just learning as I go ....The inner felt fuzzy? Well I had already removed the arm reset, pull strap and I have power windows... When looking from the bottom left with a flashlight I can see what appears to be a screw or something towards the upper right, but cant find (from looking in the inside of the panel) how it's attached. So since the door panel attaches on top of the door....my guess is that I should be pulling up then, right? ....but I need to 1st unhook whatver has the door panel fastened in place in the upper right...

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The door panel is held on by clips, as well as the door strap screws (2), arm rest bolts (3), and remote mirror bezel nut(1). The clips can be seen here: wccc

These clips run along the bottom of the panel and up the sides. On the front or leading edge of the panel, there are three of these, one of which is close to the top.

You can buy a door panel clip tool at most parts stores or try a putty knife.

If you have removed everything mentioned so far, then someone may have added a screw which you'll have to find, or its just tight on the top where the panel laps over the top of the inner door metal.

Other things: door lock stem - unscrew the plastic cap. Courtesy light - unplug the wires once you can reach behind.

("fuzzy" = weatherstrip that touches the glass from the inside of the car along top of door panel).

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another thing is that the door panels after 40 years are only hardboard and kinda fragile. The clips that hold them on are just tension/spring clips....which aren't carried by the box stores anymore I've noticed. That style has moved to the modern plastic plugs which don't work very well after the panel has blown out when you yanked it.....or the rusty clip breaks. Be ginger with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys very much for your input.
@ MrEos, I just happen to have a putty knife somewhere in my garage- I will try using it this weekend. I think the clip you mentioned that could be possibly at the top may the culprit here.

@ Bad69cat, Yes I will try to be very gentle with the panel. Boy am I glad I decided to come here and ask you guys 1st, because out of sheer frustration I was tempted to bend it back until it popped off...... Now that I've calmed down quite a bit, I will give this another shot. I thank you guys again..

·
Registered
164 Posts
After you're sure you have all of the clips and bolts out, the panel has to slide UP to release the top where the felt is holding it.

Once this is clear you should be able to pull the whole panel OUT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts