Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boy oh boy it's always something. i had a new robins top installed last year using a new window that came with the car. the installer threw away the warranty card and box which i believe was guaranteed for 5 years. i've no idea who made the window.

now after a couple of uses i've developed a leak where the hinge has started to separate causing a leak. see drawing.

is there any tape i can apply to seal this tear while remaining usable or invisible? rear window.jpg
any suggestion here?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If it is truly a Robbins top, I think they are the only one with a plastic hinge (and a guarantee), the rest are silicone, I would go back and get a record of the purchase and contact Robbins for warranty service.

There is no way to properly fix one that is coming apart although there may be someone out there who has successfully re-siliconed two pieces of glass back together. Personally, I don't think I would even try it, too much that can and would go wrong. Not even possible if you truly have a plastic hinge.

The upside (and probably the path of least resistance) is that the rear windows are available seperately. You can buy another and pay (again) to have it installed without affecting the existing rest of the top (much).

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bob

the problem is the window isn't a robbins window so no guarantee there. yes replacement seem the only solution an expensive one for sure, oh well thanks i'll call the top people.

jene

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
NPD has the folding rear glass curtain's in whatever color you need for $192. I got my top there and it was EZ-On Auto Top, a good brand IMO. Their silicone hinge rear curtains have a 36 month warranty.

If I were you I would do whatever I could to retrace the purchase of the rear curtain (it was a new one, correct?) and try to get it warranteed if it is still in force. It's either that or eat the price of another and its installation.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just repaired my rear 2 piece window last weekend. All the silicone was dried out and the two pieces were not connected. I used aquarium sealer. Clear in color. I used blue painters tape. Multiple pieces. I started from the outside first and finished on the inside. I thought the neater side should be out, more visible. I put a piece of painters tape sticky side down with two pieces sticky side up so the 2 sticky sides were touching each other. I first placed a piece of tape on the inside of the window on both sides of the split of the glass, creating a ledge of tape that will give me a straight edge upon removal, ( a 3/8") from the break in the glass) and I placed the three pieces of blue tape from the inside along the break having the non sticky side of the middle piece face up and able to stick to the underside of the window from the two pieces that have the sticky side facing the underside of the window. This set-up will catch the silicone as you apply it from the outside and not have it stick to the tape that is acting as a "bottom" for you.

I then placed 2 pieces on the outside that will allow me to uopn removal create a straight, clean line/edge for esthetics. I then fulled the gap with silicone and kept using a makeshift spatula, I broke off a small piece from a plastic knife, to keep filling the gap and smooth it out.

I let it set for 5 mins and removed the two pieces of tape from the outside,(beautiful clean edges) and a min or so later, removed the three pieces from the inside, leaving the other two pieces there that are going to create the other clean edge. I then went ahead and applied a bead on the inside and using that spatula evened if off from the inside.

After another 5 mins I removed the other two pieces of tape (another clean edge) and voila...done.

I think it came out great. total cost maybe $10 for aquarium sealer and tape. 25 minutes time for applications of tape to removal of all tape. I waited a day to lower the top, but since then have numerous times and it is still intact.

This sounds confusing and I appologize if this wasn't even the problem, but this was my cheap, clean, easy fix.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Installing the rear window on an existing top isn't that tough. I did it on my previous car using the old piece as a template for lining up and stapling the tacking strip. Only real problem I had was that the zippers didn't match, so I took the zipper half that was on the old window and sewed it onto the new one.

On my first car, I was able to re-silicone the glass hinge. I'm not sure what this "plastic hinge" on Robbins tops might be, so disregard if inapplicable. I've seen Don Rush recommend the stuff they use to build fish aquariums. I removed the window, taped a strip of wax paper along the seam with a little room for the silicone to bulge out, and laid a big bead. It worked for me.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Good job Doc! I would have thought it was more troublesome but am keeping in mind that a dentist probably knows how to apply various "goops" better than most people do!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is what i've done so far cleaning outside.jpg cleaning outside with tooth brush. cleaning inside 1.jpg cleaning inside inside tape.jpg taping inside crack then outside outside tape .jpg used two different tape one blue painters tape then blue gaffers tape is what i had laying around product .jpg product got at local pet store for aquarium repair. cont......

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i talked to my top installer and his preferred method was applying the bead apply silicone.jpg then finishing bead using a finger to finish the bead finger finish.jpg then let cure 48 hours even though the products instructions suggest 24 hours. maybe in the future i'll unzip window when i put top down but i store the top up most of the time. so far it looks good. bead.jpg the bead so far. hope this helps someone especially myself..take care...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts