Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My 69 has the factory air setup installed and has until now worked fine. The problem is that when I set the control to the HI/LOW setting very little air comes from the registers, but tons of it from the floor ducts. I am getting the same thing when setting the control to MAX/FRESH Air conditioning. I can't see any vacuum issues through any of the vacuum motors as they seem to function OK, and the small white plastic cross shaped valve positioned on the air inlet plenum SEEMS to be opening and closing OK. This appears to be a pretty complicated system to me but I am sure that someone out there may have some ideas. I have looked here for similar postings with no luck.

Many Thanks

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
113 Posts
It sounds like the Vacuum selector switch on the control panel is on the fritz. Have you pulled the Panel and examined the selector switch on the control panel?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with CougarRon. Those things don't last forever, and can have very subtle leaks. The good news is you can find an NOS replacement for around $50 or maybe less on eBay. I have a '73 Marquis with ATC and it eats those things because of excessive current draw and a poor design.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi CougarRon and Dennis,

Many thanks for that, guys. I had been looking everywhere else. Now suddenly this morning it is all working again. It makes sense that it would be what you both think. Looks like an interesting job to get the old one out, but I have the workshop manual set to refer to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No problem I am lucky enough to work in the business and this is a common problem with the Mustangs from the same era.

It is the same Vac. selector switch used on the 69-70 Mustangs. WCC may have a good one. We have been out of them for years but we are capable of pulling them apart to rebuild them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ron, and thanks for your reply. I have seen the ones at WCCC in their online catalogue, and it's also great to know that someone can rebuild them. I'll see how long it lasts!
Best Wishes

Peter Lynn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts