Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed a prounonced veer whenever i brake. i still have the stock brakes that were in my car to begin with, but i dont know if its power brakes or what. sometimes it veers left, sometimes right. also, when i brake i have to push the pedal almost to the floor to get my coug to stop. anybody ever experienced this? thanx

ryan

·
11,000 Posts
Sounds dangerous to drive. I would stop driving it until you have time to check out what kind of brakes are on your car and what the condition of brake components are. You could have frozen brake adjusters, bad suspension components and who knows what else. Fix it before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I agree with Royce, but let me put it in stronger terms. You MUST park the car right now till it is fixed period!!!

Also brakes on these old cougars are not that complicated but if you dont even know if you have power, disks, drums or whatever than in my mind you yourself are not qualified to fix it yourself. Make sure you have a competent mechanic diagnose and repair whatever is needed.

You say you still have "stock" brakes sounding like there going to be mariginal anyway. Thats not really the case at all if your stock setup is in top working order.

In the meantime I dont want to see a car with faulty brakes on the road, if you know there bad and continue to drive the car and you get hurt, thats your problem but you could kill other innocent people. I mean what if you run into a minivan with women and children in it (could me my wife and kids). Also I do belive in a case of a accident with it proven that you knew you were driving a car in that condition that could cause a accident, you could be looking at serious lawsuits and possible jail time. mm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the brakes on my car are discs in the front, and drums in the back. thanks for your guys concern. i know a good mechanic around here...so i'll just have them take a look..thanks

ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts