Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car runs fine, just when it sits for about 15 minutes when the engine is hot, then it cranks for a long time before it will start due to what I believe is vapor lock. What can I do to stop this? It's really embarrassing to start it in public. It's a '68 with a 302, edelbrock intake, and 1406 4bbl carb. It has a spacer between the manifold and the carb. Any ideas on how to stop the vapor lock?

Much appreciated,
Nate B

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Had a problem with this last week in 95 plus degree weather on the tractor. Fuel line runs in between two ports on the exhaust manifold. Fuel was getting so hot that it was creating a vapor lock and the tractor would quit. A minute later it would start right back up but in a another minute it would stall as if out of gas. I wrapped some heat shield around the fuel line and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is it a phenolic spacer or one that will still transfer heat? Try to route your fuel line so that it has a good amount of space between hot surfaces. It could also just be an incorrect carb adjustment being to rich once it's at temp....does it give you any black smoke when it starts up hot?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The car runs fine, just when it sits for about 15 minutes when the engine is hot, then it cranks for a long time before it will start due to what I believe is vapor lock. What can I do to stop this? It's really embarrassing to start it in public. It's a '68 with a 302, edelbrock intake, and 1406 4bbl carb. It has a spacer between the manifold and the carb. Any ideas on how to stop the vapor lock?

Much appreciated,
Nate B
I'm having the same problem with my 67, running the same carb and intake, but without the carb spacer. Went to a local cruise in yesterday about 7 miles away. Ran very good till I got there and tried backing in a parking space, kept stalling, very hard starting. The outside temp was around 90. This was an AM show, after it sat for a couple hrs, she started right up, ran fine till I got home. After 4 attempts of getting in my garage (kept stalling). I opened the hood, and it looked like the clear plastic fuel filter was bubbling inside. It sits near the dizzy and left head, with around an inch clearance.

Any help would be apreciated, it could have been more embarrassing if not a Falcon club show. :)

·
11,000 Posts
It is normal to see air in those clear fuel filters. You can fix that problem by using metal fuel filters. Then you won't see the air or bubbling and won't have to worry about it.

You need some kind of spacer between the carburetor and the intake. The factory used a 1" aluminum spacer on the 289 - 302 - 351 series, and a plastic spacer on the FE series engines. All are readily available.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another thought - see if your timing makes a change in how it starts. If the advance is working properly, it might be that you need to tweak the timing some to retard/advance just a hair more when hot.....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Unfortunatley, this is becoming more and more of a problem with the ethanol in the gas these days. My '69 vapor locks pretty bad and it's a bone stock 351 with the factory carb spacer. Being in South Florida, it's pretty much a year round problem for me. I've solved it on my other cars. Carb heat shield on the camaro and blocked the exhaust crossover in the intake on the Cuda. The '68 has a Holley and doesn't vapor lock at all. Keep your fuel lines away from the engine. I'm thinking of trying some sort of heat shield for the '69.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It could be that you have an internal carb leak that lets fuel seep out while the car sets and causes hard to start. If it sets over night and starts good the next morning, that a good sign of internal leak. After driving the car, turn off engine and remove the air cleaner to check and see if a lot of vapor is coming out, if it is you have fuel leaking, could be too high float level, or fuel seeping out of gasket area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no black smoke, and the fuel lines are run higher than the engine surface, so they arent getting hot. I believe the carburetor is getting too hot, but it has the spacer below already. Not sure what to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts