Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I'm finally getting AlphaCat put back together after its lengthy 18+ year restoration, it is getting to the point where I have to start thinking about a suitable license plate for my Cat.

In 1997, the State decided that all cars 25 years and newer had to be emission tested before getting plates. The rule had been 1975 and newer. AlphaCat was only 24 years old, and since the car was in pieces scattered over two garages, there was no way to get an e-check. I had to give up my COUGRR plate, after paying the $60/yr for the past 12 years and not even using the plate. $720! Somebody else snatched it right up though.

Now I have to come up with some other good ideas for a license plate. We are limited to seven characters now -- before it was only six -- so that should open things up a bit. The last time I had checked, COUGRRR was available! :D

My AlphaCat is a 73 XR-7 with a warmed-over 351C-4V

Plates I'm considering are:

D3WY CJ or CJ D3WY -- D3WY is parts-speak for 73 Cougar
ALFACAT -- My message board handle for the car

Let's hear your ideas! :1poke:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good luck with the D3WY plates. I'm not sure how the people are in the Ohio area, but in NJ you'd get tired of morons asking you "what's DEWY mean?" . It gets very frustrating.

Does Ohio require front and back tags for historic cars? If not, maybe autotags.com is worth a try. They can do exact duplicates of state tags (really accurate), with whatever text you want on there. They can fit a few extra characters on there, and it doesn't look crowded. Well, just a thought.

Hey, you asked, right? :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
D3WY is too obsure even for me! What does your's mean exactly? If I saw it I'd think it meant some sort of a three-way sexual inuendo LOL.

I hate it when they are too simple though. I think they should say something about the engine, it's rarity or something somewhat clever/funny.

How about:
351GRRR (engine/Cougar ad buzz word),
73CGR (too simple?),
351CAT3 (engine/car/year) ,
MEOWMIX (since it's modified),
PHATCAT (That's not an insult BTW! Phat means "cool"), 1OFNONE (if it's a custom),
MUSCMERC (Muscle Mercury),
18LIVES (18 years to restore and/or a long-time survivor cat as ALL cats have 9 lives!)

Tim B
GRRR428

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mine is too simple

I had this one before the car sat for 3 years and got it reissued after it got back on the road:

'72 XR-7

But I like it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If your in texas

If you live in Texas...please dont take PHATCAT. I will eat that up if I can once I buy my Cougar.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hmmm.... it's really a personal thing. My 'stang is "66 Pony". Not terribly original, but at Roundup last summer, I was located within three cars of "64 Pony" and "65 Pony" :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other ideas....

CJKITTY
FASTCAT

Keep 'em coning!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sorry "hate" was too strong a word. For the great unwashed, i.e. 90% of the population, 66 PONY or 68COUGR is fine. But I know that already!!!! The only Mustang/Cougar I have trouble IDing are the 71/72s. Put "429" in the plate and I'll know what year it is ;-)

More?
PUMA351
EL GATO (sp?)
FANG or FANGDME (for a 70 lol)
CRAZYCAT
TOOTHY (for a 70 with houndstooth top/int.)
CATTN (an attitude)
CATNIP
CHAUNCY
CATCHUP
CAT4PLA

Tim B
GRRR428
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bet ELIMN8R is taken....

Hrmmm..

69ELIM?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I like mine because everyone always asks "What year is that Mustang?''

Mustang didn't make an XR-7! DUH!

·
Registered
751 Posts
two ideas for one who's sick of the "Kitty" car jokes:

NOPSYCT

NO KTTN

PS: if any one in AZ takes the later, I'll hunt you down and steal your plate.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cougar Kitty said:
I like mine because everyone always asks "What year is that Mustang?''

Mustang didn't make an XR-7! DUH!
Doesn't stop people from asking me....

·
Contributing Member
374 Posts
Oh the Vanity...........

My own plate is 69RCODE. (R engine of course)

A couple of other suggestions for you would be

73COUGR
73 CAT
351CJ
COBRAJT
GRRRRRR (i thought about this one but ....)

Have FUN !

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
3F93Q too obscure for ya? he he. well if thats correct for your car

well ill understand it anyway ( even though i think the 93 is incorrect.. )

·
11,000 Posts
9lives

1 - 20 of 62 Posts