Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my engine machinist tells me that two sets of Milodon exhaust valve sets are both .035 short of the 5.060 spec. length. I also noticed Manley and Sealed Power all have different valve length for the same application. Does anyone recommend a SS valve for a 2V 351 C 1973 for mostly stock head rebuild ?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I would recommend stainless 1 piece for all Clevelands, and any engine for that matter, stock or not. Be careful of the "stock replacement" valve that they all sell, they are 2 piece valves and will come apart just like the originals. This is not a place you want to save money.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
What was the thought process that ever created the 2 piece valves anyway??....:bong:

A good machine shop will be money well spent, --- painful as it may be!:bloated:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What was the thought process that ever created the 2 piece valves anyway??....:bong:

A good machine shop will be money well spent, --- painful as it may be!:bloated:
Cost savings! Most valves contain alot of nickle which is expensive and is only really needed on the head end of the valve where it is exposed to heat/ seat wear. A two piece valve is friction welded half way up the stem with a cheaper material then case harded on the tip and keeper groove area to prevent wear. If your buying a quality valve it should "never" come apart at the friction weld area. I don't consider Ferrea a quality valve. Not the worst on the market, but not quality. Manley would be a top choice. If you really want to read up of valve material one of our retired engineers wrote a good piece you can read up on.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2564/valve_alloyswhat_makes_them_so_special.aspx

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
COOL article! Always wondered what I was really buying! .....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...I don't consider Ferrea a quality valve. Not the worst on the market, but not quality...
Ut oh, so I put junk in my engine? Has to be a lot better than the stock stuff (or TRW replacements for stock). Mine are the 5000 series which are lesser than the 6000 series although I confess I have no idea what the differences are. I just bought them based on what I thought was a good reputation.

Hopefully for a mild street engine which gets whooped on a bit now and then Ferrea 5000's are just fine...

So Brian, what can you tell us about why Ferrea is not a quality valve? I would love to know more about this.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Sorry Bob, but I can't go into detail on a public forum. You're thoughts are correct they are better then the TRW replacement valves.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sorry Bob, but I can't go into detail on a public forum. You're thoughts are correct they are better then the TRW replacement valves.
Hmmph, I don't really understand but guess it must have something to do with your professional affiliations and competitors then?

BTW, I had forgotten that you had a lot of engine/cam expertise, etc. and had advised me a bit on my cam choice previously. I would have picked your brain/brought up some things had I remembered when we met at the Nats. Oh well. Maybe another time we can discuss that and the valve thing in person?

Thanks,

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts