Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
It could be worth $ 25K restored. The DSO code 84 is called "Home office reserve" and means the car was sold or leased to a Ford employee or agency. The majority of DSO 84 cars were purchased at a discount by a Ford employee. Some were sold to a dealer and then leased for example to a salesman at the dealership before being sold as a used car.

In a very few cases a DSO 84 car was a factory show unit. This can be verified by purchasing the deluxe Marti Report.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello Sean

Nice looking Cougar, Would like to see more picture's of the Eng. and inside. I looked it up on the NADA Guide say it is worth and did not have the GT package listed..
<TABLE id=ctl00_ctl01_ucValues_tblSummary cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR class=vdppricetypes><TD class=pricetype>Original

MSRP
</TD><TD class=pricetype>Low</B></I>
Retail
</TD><TD class=pricetype>Average</B></I>
Retail
</TD><TD class=pricetype>High</B></I>
Retail
</TD></TR><TR class=tableHeaderVDPValueRow><TD class=tableHeaderVDPValue></TD><TD class=optionvalue align=right>$3,232</TD><TD class=optionvalue align=right>$12,100</TD><TD class=optionvalue2 align=right>$19,200</TD><TD class=optionvalue3 align=right>$31,300</TD></TR><TR class=vdpoptionsrow><TD colSpan=5><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=summaryData2 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ccpricinglblnewbase colSpan=5>Options: (add options)</TD></TR><TR class=summaryData2altcolor><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-390/335 HP 4V V8 ENG</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-4 SPEED TRANSMISSION</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD></TR><TR class=summaryData2altcolor><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-AIR CONDITIONING</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B></I>
See all options chosen

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=summaryFooterVDP>TOTAL PRICE</TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$3,232</TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$18,150</TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" align=right>$28,800 </TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$46,950</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</B></I>

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I can't tell if that is a good looking car or not.....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
In a very few cases a DSO 84 car was a factory show unit. This can be verified by purchasing the deluxe Marti Report.
The Marti Report in the ad lists this car as a Pool Vehicle. John

·
11,000 Posts
I think the NADA is wildly out of touch with reality regarding those prices.

Hello Sean

Nice looking Cougar, Would like to see more picture's of the Eng. and inside. I looked it up on the NADA Guide say it is worth and did not have the GT package listed..
<TABLE id=ctl00_ctl01_ucValues_tblSummary cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR class=vdppricetypes><TD class=pricetype>Original

MSRP
</TD><TD class=pricetype>Low</B></I>
Retail
</TD><TD class=pricetype>Average</B></I>
Retail
</TD><TD class=pricetype>High</B></I>
Retail
</TD></TR><TR class=tableHeaderVDPValueRow><TD class=tableHeaderVDPValue></TD><TD class=optionvalue align=right>$3,232</TD><TD class=optionvalue align=right>$12,100</TD><TD class=optionvalue2 align=right>$19,200</TD><TD class=optionvalue3 align=right>$31,300</TD></TR><TR class=vdpoptionsrow><TD colSpan=5><TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=summaryData2 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ccpricinglblnewbase colSpan=5>Options: (add options)</TD></TR><TR class=summaryData2altcolor><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-390/335 HP 4V V8 ENG</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>35%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-4 SPEED TRANSMISSION</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>10%</TD></TR><TR class=summaryData2altcolor><TD class=optiontitle>ADD-AIR CONDITIONING</TD><TD class=optionvalue></TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD><TD class=optionvalue2>5%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B></I>
See all options chosen

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" class=summaryFooterVDP>TOTAL PRICE</TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$3,232</TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$18,150</TD><TD style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" align=right>$28,800 </TD><TD class=summaryFooterVDP align=right>$46,950</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</B></I>

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I Think both NADA and KBB are pretty far out of whack, honestly...

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Judging from the pictures of that car, I would be hesitant to bid without getting a knowledgeable person to look at it for me.

Looks like a 1967 fixed steering column.
The underhood picture makes me think that all of the rare S code parts have been removed, or that the engine is from some other car (or truck).
Upholstery shop door panels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Royce Peterson "It could be worth $ 25K restored". Low Retail </B></I>$18,500.00 Average Retail $28,800.00 How is that wildly out of touch. I agree NADA is not the best but its wright were you said it was. Needs the wright steering wheel and missing alot of GT eng parts and A/C and the price is high. And the car should be looked at to see if its Number match. And i think alot of people underestimate the price of Cougar's. Still think its a nice Cougar..

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
For comparison: May Collector Car Market

#1 29,100
#2 18,500
#3 12,525
#4 5,975

428 - add 80%
390 - add 0%
4M - add 5%

Looking at that car it is a low 3 due to missing items.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I agree that cougars are very undervalued in the collector car market. But the "book" values, and market values, adjust out at different rates. Plus I have a pretty dim view of the economy over all....
However since this car is missing (it looks like it's missing) a lot of the unique pieces, at 16K, a guy will be upside down fairly quick, or at least have a much narrower profit margin, if the goal was a flip for profit.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Many of the so called 'Value Calculators', take the information from a Mustang and apply it to the Cougar.

1967-68 Cougars with the GT package, automatically received the S code 390-4V engine. The only optional engine would have been an R code 428CJ in 1968.
From memory, the GT package consists of: S code engine, heavy duty suspension (shocks, springs, sway bar), disc brakes, and possibly style steel wheels with the appropriate tires.

1967-68 Mustangs on the other hand, could get a GT package with any V-8 engine with a 4V carburetor.
The GT package on a Mustang included: fog lights, disc brakes, dual exhaust, stripes and badging, heavy duty suspension (shocks, springs, sway bar and 9 inch rear), upgraded tires, and GT fuel cap

Adding a 390-4V engine along with the 'GT' package on the Cougar is doubling up.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hmm, interesting thread, I am already under water with mine!! LOL But will be on top of the world when it is done and driveable!!!! Thankfully I bought mine as a hobby, and because I really wanted it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts