Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its a 1968 with 302 4v (J-code), almost all original. Original paint job, original vinyl top, I have the manual that came with the car. It even has a WARNING sticker that has been there since it was made. It's a Dan Gurney Special so it still has the original Dan Gurney hubcaps. Engine is all stock just like it was except for the headers and exhaust. Interior is good except for slightly torn seats and missing one arms rest. So pretty much the car is 95% original and runs great. Body is in great condition too. Guy who sold it to me wanted 6,000 but I got him to lower Here is some pics:

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/gotmilk2424/downsized_0905011730.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/gotmilk2424/1007011750.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae133/gotmilk2424/0904011540.jpg

There is a crack in the dashboard and a dent in the bumper

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Apparently, it's worth whatever you paid the guy. If you want other opinions as to whether or not you got a good deal, you'll have to supply a much better description and far more detailed pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't take pictures right now but what additional info do you need?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd say a '68 Gurney that's running and 95% original is probably worth more than $6k. Quite a bit more, I would think. Like easily double that. Assuming, that is, it doesn't have issues with rust on the floor pans, frame rails, torque boxes, trunk/quarters. If it's rust free I'd guess you could sell it on eBay for $12k pretty easily. I'm not any kind of expert, though, not even close.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I can't take pictures right now but what additional info do you need?
How about a complete list of options, full mechanical description, condition of trim, whether or not everything works as it should, etc., etc., etc.

The Dan Gurney Special package adds little to no value. Your brief description tells me you have a slightly mechanically modified car needing paint, brightwork & upholstery. I can't imagine it would be worth more than $3-$4K unless everything is in extremely good condition and not in need of replacement or restoration. Location will also play into its value. If you're in California, there are lots of Cougars available with a similar description which would lower the price. If in the rust belt, a rust free car would bring a premium.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh how dumb do I feel. I read Dan Gurney Special and thought XR-7G. Forget what I said then. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
(Sigh....) It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh how dumb do I feel. I read Dan Gurney Special and thought XR-7G. Forget what I said then. Sorry about that.
I wish it was a XR-7G

How about a complete list of options, full mechanical description, condition of trim, whether or not everything works as it should, etc., etc., etc.

The Dan Gurney Special package adds little to no value. Your brief description tells me you have a slightly mechanically modified car needing paint, brightwork & upholstery. I can't imagine it would be worth more than $3-$4K unless everything is in extremely good condition and not in need of replacement or restoration. Location will also play into its value. If you're in California, there are lots of Cougars available with a similar description which would lower the price. If in the rust belt, a rust free car would bring a premium.
As far as I know there is no rust. Lets see, A/C doesn't work but heat does, all lights work including grill eyelids, radio is original but has some problem were it makes a loud blurping sound if its too low, no rust under vinyl top, I cant name exactly what but some parts were replaced in the engine. Nothing needs to be replaced except maybe the spare tire since it looks like it's 40 years old. This car just needs to be painted and fix a few scratches and dinks and it will look great. I'll try to get some better pictures soon, I haven't had any time.

Just quick question, does Dan Gurney really not add much value? I read that they only made 218 of them in '68. I think to someone that would be special(it is to me). Even if it is just a sticker and some hub-caps.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I don't know where you got your numbers from but the Dan Gurney Specials option package was ordered on 11,900 Cougars in 1968 and untold thousand more were created with the over the counter package available at Lincoln/Mercury dealerships.

Value is a really hard thing to judge and as Scott wrote earlier, the value is established based on what someone is willing to pay. So, to you, the car was worth what you paid for it. To me, it's worth $3-$4K. Since you've already purchased the car, what do you car what someone else thinks it's worth anyway? Enjoy the car for what it is and don't look back.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Some info here on the dgs you may or may not have seen yet.

Any ideas on what it will cost to paint that Cougar?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts