Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad passed away and gave his 1970 xr7 convertible to my youngest son. He is wanting to sell it. The body is in good shape (no rust), the car as 79,000 original miles. It does not run. It has been setting in my shop indoors since 1990. The leather interior still looks in good shape. I am sure the top is dry rotted, but it is intact. The color scheme is metallic blue with black leather interior and black top. It is complete. Any help would be appreciated. My son had a buddy post it on craigslist for a day and a guy offered "$4000" sight unseen (we all know how much that $4000 is worth over the internet.

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very hard to try and get a value with the info provided. Need engine and other info. Pic's will help too. Post the VIN for further discussion. If you need privacy leave the last four digits off the vin when posting it. Also, do you know why it is not running?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Location will also help. As Gary stated other information will help such as transmission, radio, ac, console, tilt, pw, pb, ps, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My son had a buddy post it on craigslist for a day and a guy offered "$4000" sight unseen (we all know how much that $4000 is worth over the internet.
Well, I bought a running, driving '70 XR7 Convertible for $7,000 in 2014. Good tires, recent top, redone (in vinyl not leather) interior. It had ridiculous electrical gremlins from sitting a long time, and the prior owner apparently having essentially no knowledge of electrical systems making it worse. It had a replacement 351C 4 bbl. SO $4,000 may not be too far off for a non running car sitting on ancient tires and needing a top. It's all about what the Marti report says for engine and options, what pictures you can get from the underneath to show rust didn't take hold sitting on a concrete floor for decades, and if the engine is a boat anchor or has an easily fixed problem like a slipped timing chain... At least you have a good color combo.

Folks here should be able to help narrow in on a fair asking price if you can answer why the engine doesn't run, and have the Marti report. You may even get lucky and be close to one of us to come look in person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dad passed away and gave his 1970 xr7 convertible to my youngest son. He is wanting to sell it. The body is in good shape (no rust), the car as 79,000 original miles. It does not run. It has been setting in my shop indoors since 1990. The leather interior still looks in good shape. I am sure the top is dry rotted, but it is intact. The color scheme is metallic blue with black leather interior and black top. It is complete. Any help would be appreciated. My son had a buddy post it on craigslist for a day and a guy offered "$4000" sight unseen (we all know how much that $4000 is worth over the internet.

Thanks
Hello I'm interested in the cat, please pm me. [email protected].

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fathers's passing.

I have a 1973 XR7 351C V4 that I am documenting as I restore it on my youtube channel (Bare Foot Garage Restorations and Repairs)

anyway, why I replied is the woman I got my car from (for free besides bringing it home from where it was stored), her husband bought the car years before I got it sight unseen online (not sure where) and she told me he paid $6500 cdn back in about 2006 I think it was. I don't know what it looked like then or what he did to it while he was still alive before he passed away and she gave it to me a few years after that.

However, not knowing the exact details of your '70 XR7 as others have posted. in my humble opinion $4K maybe a little low. One place you could ask (or call) if they are able and willing to help you with more information on your car could / would be West Coast Custom Cougars. I get all my parts from them so far for my restoration. I have no affiliation with them but they are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Not saying others here arn't and or don't know what they are talking about of course. Just at WCCC they are in the business of the '67 - 73 cougars and have sold some in the past I believe too.

Anyway good luck. sounds like a very nice car all the same. Probably in better shape then mine laughs

Take care

Mr. Kate
Owner / DIYer / Youtuber
Bare Foot Garage Restorations and Repairs

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
This is where a little work on your part will help bring big returns..... clean it up... spend a little more time and money to get it running and driving ... taking all the why it has been sitting not running questions out of the value equation ... ans sell it it as a running .. driving... classic car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts