Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a switch located on the fender wall into which the vacuum hoses for the headlight doors run. I have tested the vac motors and the left is shot. The other works but only to open when I reverse the hose connection. I can't find anything that shows or refrence this part. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Bobcat, I have a vacuum diagram on the other computer. I'll post it later tonight. What exactly do you want to know...your question is a little vague.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vac valve

Thank you. What a great drawing. My control vavle does not look like this, but this will help tremendously. I'll take apicture tonight. I need to find out if this valve is working, if its an electrical problem or a vale problem.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hello Pelle, The 68 vacuum diagram is different. The 68 does not have a vacuum valve in the engine bay. They relocated it onto the headlight switch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great picture of the vaccumsystem, just what I needed!:)
So on a 67 the vacuum is controlled by the valve in the engine-bay and on a 68 it's controlled by the lightswitch?
The previous owner of my 67 claimed that there should be a electical valve controlling the vacuum, and another guy who I bought some misc. parts from said that's wrong and it's controlled by the headlight switch. (I believed the later...)
So the P.O. was right then after all, and the other guy was talking about a 68...?

I'm so glad that my vacuumsystem is totaly cleaned out... NOT!:mad:
All i have is a direct vaccum connected to the topside of the actuator so when I start the engine the doors open and when I shut it of they close... lucky me...:mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
So then I need everything...

I thought that since I still had the lightswitch that I could salvage most of the function without having all the correct parts but no luck there then.

Maybe I'll get a '68 lightswitch if I can't get the parts I need.

Thanks for setting me straight! :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Swedish67, from what I see , all you need is the vacuum switch in the engine bay. Do you have the vacuum reservoir inside the driver's side front fender? On the other hand, changing to a 68 headlight switch will work as well....but you still need a vacuum reservoir if you want to open/close the headlight doors when the engine is off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
67 VAC

OK Bruter how do I test the switch. Is it not getting the electrical signal or is it not switching.?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good Question...I never had the occasion to test one. I have a spare that needs to be tested so unless someone has already done it, I'll tinker around a bit and get back to you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't have the vacuumtank I'm affraid.
The previous owner did a good job of cleaning out all the parts in the vacuum-system except for the actuators.

I'll se if I can get my hands on a vacuumswitch somewere. I have a feeling that there isn't too many of them lying around here in sweden...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The only thing the vacuum tank does is to allow you to close the headlight doors with the engine off. You can do without if you just remember to turn the headlights off before you shut the engine down. As for the switch, you can always keep your eye on ebay:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts