Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 72' cougar that i am pretty positive it has alot of vacuum leak issues because as of late i have to keep revving the engine while putting it into drive to keep it on , once i drive im fine but the start up it is bad

So i had bought a vacuum diagram from west coast classic cougar the 2 page diagram but it doesnt seem to make much sense , i was wondering does someone have a more detailed vacuum diagram or something so i can figure them out because i got some that are even plugged up and thats how it was when i bought it

·
Registered
913 Posts
On the back of the intake manifold there is a vac. tree, unplug all of the hoses and cap off the tree, see if this helps to keep the engine running better, if it does you have leaks, if it doesn't, then you have other problems. If blocking off the tree helps, then start by installing the hoses one at a time, the hose that you hook up that makes the engine idle rough is the one that you start tracing for leaks. Headlight hoses are the easiest to trace, if you have AC that is more difficult because most is under the dash. Check hose ends for splits.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had the same problem on my Cat, also check the carb bolts mine shook loose from all the high RPm and caused a leak between the carb and the intake manifold. It was driving me nuts but that was the culprit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i will try that , but i was hoping for something simple to try following , a while ago i had a program that showed everything for the cougar including the vacuum diagrams i believe , or im not sure how much it might show in the shop manuals

·
Registered
439 Posts
You can find out if you have a vacuume leak by placing a rag over the top of your carb while the engine is running, hold it tight. If the car keeps on running than you have a leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts