Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 68 cougar with a 302 automatic! It has a rough idle and pinging coming from the tail pipes! So the search is on for a vacuum leak! I may be suspecting the carb gasket! So what can i spray on and around a potential leak thats safe to use?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I always use starting fluid or carb cleaner.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yep - cheap and easy. Also propane works quite well if you have a torch handy....just crack open the valve a bit and run it around the rubber hoses carb base, headlight switch, brake booster, etc. It's safe and you will hear the engine stumble if it sucks any in. A little peice of rubber hose over the end makes it easier to flex into tight spots....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Never thought of the propane. I like that. no mess to clean up and won't hurt the paint either!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Also check the rubber elbow that connects the vacuum line to the modulator on the transmission. That's a common spot for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
You can also isolate individual system, but blocking off items. I.E., the power brake booster, the headlight vacuum, at the back of the engine may help determine if it a leak on the engine, or from some where else..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I unplugged everything to my vacuum tree and plugged the tree with caps. then sprayed all over the engine especially under the car and intake meets block.....it wont make a mess cause the carb cleaner etc. evaporates. but it will revv up if its a leak.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts