Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace a few headlight vacuum lines on my 67. What I was sold at my favorite parts store was windshield washer line? I was concerned that it might collapse under vacuum but was told that it would not. I tested the line with a hand vacuum pump and it seemed fine. I would think that there should be "vacuum" line that I could buy? Anyone with real world experience here?? Thanks for the :1zhelp:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vacuum Lines

What I did was cut off a piece of line and go to the parts store and buy a whole roll of that tubing in a box. It was cheaper to buy 100ft of it in a box than cut 25 feet off their spool. This way I replaced all the lines for the lights etc...

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you replace all the hoses with new stuff, how do you deal with the big hole where the lines go through the firewall and into the car. Can the old hose be cut away from the old bushing part and be reused or what?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I have plenty of the three hose green yellow and whites that go thru firewall. Just use connectors to add new hose engine side of firewall.

·
Registered
252 Posts
rickyz, you can reuse the rubber piece that plugs the firewall. Cut off the hoses and then use a small sharp screwdriver or other thin, sharp object to cut out the hose as it goes through the rubber piece. The hoses are just glued in. With the help of a little lubricant, I was able to thread new hoses through and it looks original.
Tom

·
Registered
159 Posts
That sounds like the ticket since I am not sure where the leak is coming from. I want to replace all the hoses. Thanks for the info.
Any suggestions on type of hose or do I just need to match up size at local autozone? of course I know it has to be rated for vaccum. Thanks again.
Rick

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just went to the auto store and got vac hose of the right size. Then I used colored tape to code the ends. Keep the old hose so that you can cut to the right lengths.
Tom

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Leaks typically are vac can under fender or the vac motor for lights and/or vac check valve at intake. Burnt hoses tend to leak but most I have worked on leak at the vac can

1 - 8 of 8 Posts