Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Cougar. The pumps to the headlights are still on the car, but the lines are missing. I have been trying to find information on this subject for quite soem time. How do the the lines hook up, and what do the lines hook up to? Should there be a pump powering the headlights from the fan belt, or should the vacuum be created by the carb? If you know anywhere that I can get a diagram, that would be incredibly useful. Thanks a lot! Andy

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Vacuum Schematics

Andy, the schematics do exist, it's a matter of tracking one down.

This may be of interest to everyone out there....We have a very cool little store here in Vancouver which is called Wilkinson's Automobilia. They have the greatest toys for boys and they have just about everything you can think of that was ever printed on just about every automobile built. From Showroom literature to sales brochures to Vacuum Schematics and everything in between.

Unfortunately, when I went to get one for my 70 Cougar, they had just sold the last one over the net to someone in the USA. So, I found one on eBay from someone in the USA and had it shipped back up here. Now you go and figure out who got the better deal.... :)

Send them an email and enquire about the Schematics for your 68...you can reach them at [email protected] or call them toll free at
800-699-1939. You can also check out their website at this address:
http://www.wilkinsonsauto.com/

Happy hunting

Dale

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vac lines

Andy,

First off, mustangs unlimited sells vaccume schematic and electrical schematic books for cougars. Second, my lines from a modified 347 stroker come right off the manifold from a brass fitting to the vaccume line. It goes from there about eight inches to the firewall and splits into two lines that run around the master cylinder and along the drivers side inner fender trough the grill. Then the lines split to each of the four lines required for the vaccume motors. I'm trying to remember if that is the way they were before I dropped the new engine in, but they work fine now.

Hop

·
Registered
10 Posts
ooops. my baaaad

Andy,

Let me get back to you, I think the lines go to the headlight switch.. Then out along the fender. I'm having a senior moment:eek:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
The lines go from the headlight vaccum motors (one on each side) to a vaccum canister under the driver side fender to a headlight activated vaccum switch on the fenderapron by the windshield washer bag. From there to a vaccum source on the firewall. There should be a "T" where the vaccum line to the brake booster is. If the electric switch on the apron is missing or dosen't work, I would recommend replacing the headlight switch with a '69 unit. The vaccum line connects directly to it. If you need any help, let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts