Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to a new 2.5 v6 or the other stock four cylinder engine.

what do you guys think?
my current 2.5 has abour 14300 miles so it will need a re build soon or swap what ever its best.:toung:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The past twenty years or so of Cougar production have been cars seemingly stuck in the 1970s. No longer - the new Cougar is aimed squarely at the "Generation X" youth market, and is the first car from any American part of the Ford empire to emphasize "New Edge" styling. It is based on the same platform as the Mercury Mystique and Ford Contour sedans, with nearly the same wheelbase for plenty of room. It shares the good-handling independent suspension and energetic 2.0-liter, 125- horsepower "Zetec" four-cylinder and 2.5-liter, 170-bhp "Duratec" V6 engines of the sedans.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Probably the most likely swap is the 3.0 Duratec DOHC V6 from the 99-up Taurus. Depends on the bellhousing bolt pattern and a lot of other things. IIRC the 3.0 DOHC is similar in architecture to the 2.5 that came in the Contour/Mystique/FWD Cougar.

Swapping anything into later-model cars with all the electronic goodies can be a difficult proposition. Wiring harnesses, location of sensors and the ECM can change from year to year or platform to platform. YOu really have to know what you are doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the advice. i have look into 3.0 swaps and its just not worth going all that trouble for a bit more horses.
i rather keep my 2.5 or downgrade to a 2.0 and build the engine my self.
i heard some guy was doing low 14 seconds with a 3.0 thats too slow for doing all that motor swap
i do how ever understand 99 cougars areNT the fastest so just some thing better than low 14's

**** even a dy16 all motor single head well tuned will do better than 14 seconds lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts