Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i just picked up a complete 302 for real cheap and was told it ran great.

My question is and may be a dumb one but here it goes.

The engine was still full of oil and never drained. I picked it up and the way it sat in the back of the truck inside the tire I brought, it was leaning back and oil leaked all out of the main rear seal around the crank where it would bolt up to the flex plate.

I've rebuild engines and worked on allot but never picked up a used complete engine before full of oil.

Is this normal??

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Flexplate not on the engine? If that's the case, then the oil most likely drained out through the bolt holes on the crank flange, not past the rear seal.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No flexplate is not on there. Hard to tell where it was coming from after all the oil was everywhere.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's probably why it leaked. But, as long as it's out - are you planning to rebuild it anyway?

·
Registered
389 Posts
sounds like me. when i picked up the car i also got a used 302, full of oil,sittin on a tire in the back of my truck. made a huge mess dripping all the way home out of the back of the truck from austin to dallas haha.

but what year is the 302? u know thats important right or at least make sure u check the harmonic balancer since the flex plate is missing so you make sure u match it to the motor 28oz vs 50 oz mines a 50 oz since mines out of a mid eighties vehicle so i have to get the right flex plate and harmonic balancer that works with a 3 bolt pulley set up....

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like me. when i picked up the car i also got a used 302, full of oil,sittin on a tire in the back of my truck. made a huge mess dripping all the way home out of the back of the truck from austin to dallas haha.

but what year is the 302? u know thats important right or at least make sure u check the harmonic balancer since the flex plate is missing so you make sure u match it to the motor 28oz vs 50 oz mines a 50 oz since mines out of a mid eighties vehicle so i have to get the right flex plate and harmonic balancer that works with a 3 bolt pulley set up....
It's a 92 and yes trust me I know the balance weight issues of the HO and non as this is my third personal swap, probably 10 or so all together and I've owned and built up or modified about 6 Mustangs from a 1982 Cobra to a 1986 GT Convertible, and so on.

This is another EFI conversion so I am retaining all the pulleys, brackets, etc from the 92 HO motor except for the power steering as I will be installing a manual rack.

Funny cause I've built so many engines but I have never picked up one with oil still in it as we've always drained the block before pulling it out. Actually we did once but flexplate bolts where in the end of the crank.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A lot of the yards just cut and yank - they don't care about spills - even though they are supposed to. You have to beg/plead to get them to save things they can cut with a torch rather than take a few extra minutes. they must figure it's a direct replacement and you won't want brackets/hoses/etc.....sounds like you got a plan! Good luck with the project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts