Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting with two alternators, one is a Bosch, I think an Australian one, the other comes out the 70 cougar, whether its the original or not I don't know, I can't tell what make it is cos' its been painted over.
Both thses alternators have seperate regulators.
The Bosch one has the following on it:-
B+
D+
B+
Ind with D+ underneath it
DF

The other alternator has:-
STA
BAT
FLD

What wires do I connect to what on the Bosch one, I want to put it in the 70 cougar, it comes out a 71 V8 Ranchero.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, the unknown one is an Autolite.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle - Bosch sounds like old Australian Ford if it has external regulator. I'll have to find a manual and have a look at diagram. I have been using later internally regulated alternator. You will need the Australian regulator for the Bosch alternator.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Leon, hoped you would reply, I think I am going to go with a new alternator with built in regulator, the autolite which is on the 70 at the moment looks like it has been taken apart way to many times. The bosch came off the ranchero, so you're right, early ford, we would have used it with its own regulator but I am not to happy about all the wiring hassles, easier to get a new one . How difficult is it to change over from the external to internal, what happens to the wires that go into the regulator now?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Dayle - the number of wires can vary from 1 to 3. I don't like single wires as you loose the ignition light / alternator

I only have one on the std convert and used 3 wire - battery, earth and alt light.

You can patch into the existing plug if you want - as the regulator gets chucked - or you can run one wire to battery side of starter solenoid, earth to appropriate earth and splice the wire into loom and ditch the plug.

Bosch have an internally regulated one that will fit (was same as on later GM products from Oz)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Leon, will let you know how it goes, finally got the new rims and tyres, check out Ruby in the photo section.
[Still pending approval at the moment]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts