Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing Prothane #6503 motor mounts for my Cougar.
Any thought on this product?

But after much research, I find no one makes a urethane transmission mount for my toploader 4 sp. The urethane mounts you can buy fit the wide mount tail housings. I have the tail housing that has the mount bolts parallel with the drive line.
Swapping tail housings would mean either increasing to the 31 spline output shaft or the shifter mounts would be in the wrong spot.
David Kee does make an aluminum tail housing that would fit for about $350 w/shipping.

So one alternative I'm looking at is to try the Prothane DIYMMI Liquid Urethane and try to fabricate a transmission mount that would fit. Kit costs about $27.
Has anyone tried this?

Also after comparing back and forth: Energy Suspension and Prothane are the same company.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on fabricating a urethane transmission mount.
I reworked my original rubber transmission mount using liquid urethane. I think it turned out pretty good.
I'll have to wait till spring to install it though.
IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,578 Posts
Update on fabricating a urethane transmission mount.
I reworked my original rubber transmission mount using liquid urethane. I think it turned out pretty good.
I'll have to wait till spring to install it though.
View attachment 47050

View attachment 47058
That's nice (very nice in fact) except you have made the mount basically solid by bolting through the way you have. As I suspect you know, the original studs (where you have the bolts) are isolated by the rubber and are not bolted through.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this is more of a solid mount. I wanted a bolt through design, in case the urethane would fail. I could add round 1"4 thick urethane washers on the bolts to the underside of the cross-member to further insulate the vibration.
This is a first design attempt. Always looking for better ideas.
One other design I saw for sale was this. But it is not for my tail housing.
$T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-m3BRGG)gydiQ~~60_35.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts