Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about reproductions for these. Are there any of is that out of the question as far as originality. I have run into a few cars that have matching door tags and all but the metal drivers side id tag is either mangled or missing. Of course on these parts cars the windshield was damaged or missing due to the accident that caused them to become either a parts car or in need of a lot of work.
Anybody know of any replacement for these upper metal dash tags?:confused:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would this be for the drivers door ID tag or the upper dash tag just under the windshield on the drivers side?

I'm wondering about the upper dash tag..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
COUGRRRMAN said:
Would this be for the drivers door ID tag or the upper dash tag just under the windshield on the drivers side?

I'm wondering about the upper dash tag..
I'm a little confused...are you referring to the VIN number?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone who repro's VIN plates...except for some unsavory "chop shops"!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I thought and was just wondering.
I have a car that might could be restored but for the missing vin tag. It will be parted as it is the best thing anyway.
A curiosity set to rest. Thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dash vin. tags

It is illegal to replace the vin tag and it would be very illegal to reproduce them.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes. badcat, we understand. If there was clear title to a car and the vin tag was damaged, then someone might have been making an authorized reproduction, just as Marty Autoworks makes reproduction door tags. buck tags, diff. tags, engine tags, and several others.
However if this is not in reproduction then that answers the inquiry. I would imagine that no one would be manufacturing a new VIN as that would not be legal and could be easily checked.
That was not the question. Simply, that, is there a replacement for a damaged or missing VIN to a legal, titled and legimate car.
As stated earlier, since there are no reproductions available and it is not a problem anyway, the car and any others like it out there are simply good candidates for parts cars.
Keep cruisin' everyone and look out, here comes SPRING...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I wish they did. Mine was media blasted and if it wasn't for the stamping it would be useless. :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rktmn, I completely understand. I have seen this many times. Several good cars with broken or missing windshields and damaged or missing VIN's.
Accidents do happen or careless previous owners did not know what they were doing. Oh well, at least we can get the parts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Missing or damaged vins

When a vehicle is reconstructed, the state police are able to issue a new vin tag for these vehicles. It is not the original vin number and is usually not attached in the same area as the original. However, if the original vin number tag is damaged and there is proof of ownership, they may be able to issue a new tag with the original number and a certificate stating the circumstances. This is just a thought but, in my opinion, worth checking on. Just because a vin tag is damaged should be no reason to get rid of a car. When I get a chance, I'll run this by one of our local guys.(State Police)

·
11,000 Posts
We are not talking about reconstructing a vehicle here. We are not talking about altering or modifying a VIN in order to defraud someone. We are talking about replacing a damaged or missing VIN, entirely legal by any stretch of the imagination.

Kevin Marti and Backeast both offer replacement VIN's last I heard. Kevin also offers to restamp inner fender VIN's using the original FOMOCO daisy wheel stamping equipment used on the line. Here is a copy of a recent post on another forum by Kevin in reply to the question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: 65 replacing VIN# on new fender panel.
by Kevin Marti 2/5/2001, 11:56:19 AM
If you comply with our requirements and we determine the car is legitimate, I can do it or you can do it. We rent the stamps and they can be used even if the car is fully assembled.
Kevin Marti
www.martiauto.com

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, Kevin Marti has already contacted me and we will get it worked out. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Vin number

You can not remove and replace a vin tag. Kevin can restamp the fender aprons. But the Federal statutes is real clear on the law regarding vin tags used as identification on a vehicle. If the vin tag looks to have been tampered with, the vehicle can be impounded.
When Ford changed the 1969 Shelby's into 1970's they had to have an FBI agent to over look the operation. I would check with your local state police before you decide to do anything.

·
11,000 Posts
Frank,
There are no VIN tags on '67 Cougars. Are you saying an FBI agent comes with Kevin's stamp set when he loans it out? The only legal VIN on a '67 Cougar is the inner fender stamp.

·
Registered
698 Posts
vin tags

We're not talking about '67 mustangs or cougars. We're talking about the vin tag located at the base of the windshield on later models. Check with your local state police or federal guys on this. Even the auto body guys will not nor cannot remove vins even to do repairs. As far as the '67's go, I know Kevin has the stamps and does it but as far as being Ok as far as the federal people go?????????????. On 68 and newer, restamping rusted out aprons, etc would probably be fine. The restamping on the '67's and older has probably never been addressed. All I am saying is that I would check with the proper authorities before I would consider doing it or telling someone to go ahead and tamper with one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
TransAm race car for sale

Yo Cougrman -- I have a guy interested in your car, and while he is a member of the forum, something is wrong and he can't communicate with you. His name is Dan Haynes and his email address = [email protected] Please email him at your earliest convenience. Thanks. jim pinkerton P.S. If problems email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Jim. I will try the e-mail.
C-MAN.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts