Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car = 1970 Standard Coupe. 351C 4V 4 speed.

Alright, I've got sort of bad control arms and I'm going to replace them. I bought a set from Laurel Mountain that includes everything needed.

My problem is this: In my Chilton's, step #6 says "Using a suitable tool, loosen the ball joint in the spindle, then remove the nut and lift the stud from the spindle".

What do they mean by a "Suitable Tool"? A ball joint removal tool or is there something else I need or can use.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

·
Registered
142 Posts
Suitable Tool means a Ball Joint Spreader or "Pickle Fork"-Also be sure to use tool to hold coil spring, i.e. Coil spring Compressor.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
bfh works too

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the pickle fork may damage the ball joint---leave the nut on the ball joint but loosten it 1/8 inch---with a prybar , load the tie rod end in the direction it wants to go out--take a big hammer and hit the tierod boss on the spindle--it will pop out after a couple of smacks

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the pickle fork may damage the ball joint---leave the nut on the ball joint but loosten it 1/8 inch---with a prybar , load the tie rod end in the direction it wants to go out--take a big hammer and hit the tierod boss on the spindle--it will pop out after a couple of smacks
in other words hit it with bfh! :evil:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I don't minds using the BFH or the pickle fork, and as for damaging the BJ, the new arms come with them, so either way works :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Works for me.
Pickle fork damages parts, gave mine away long ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts