Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to use a special tool to remove the threaded upper control arm bushings from the inner rod? I have a '74 cougar which uses the same bushings as the 71-73's, if I remember correctly. Can I remove and then install the bushings without any special tool?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
IIRC the bushings are pressed into place and retained by a bolt and washer at each end. The bushings can be replaced without removing the control arm from the car using an air hammer if the lower arm is supported.

I think you'll find that a 74 is quite different from a 71-73 in the front suspension department, and in the whole chassis department.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To install I am assuming that i can just use a c-clamp or something to press it into place, or should it just slip on?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumping thread since I have removed the bushings. Now my biggest issue is, how to re-install the new bushings. Do I absolutely have to have the tool kit or can I use something else?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I changed some of these once. I used the air hammer to install the new bushings. A bit of white grease will help a little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't have an air hammer, so do you think a vise would work? I have a fairly large one I could use. Was thinking of taking a scrap piece of pipe and cutting some off to make a buffer tube the bushing could slide into.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
That will work, use a large socket instead of a pipe and use the pipe for a cheater on the vise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even better idea. Thanks! Now to go find my vise. Lol. Been a long day so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, couldn't find my vise today, so I called a local repair shop and they pressed the bushings in for me, on the house. Gotta love these small shops. After my wife picked it up from the shop guess what I found...my vise. Never fails. Oh well it's done and now to reinstall tomorrow. After this tranny pan gasket fixing.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - you sound just like me now!! Drop off a 6 pack of something good to that shop - mom and pops are getting rare and sounds like they are worth doing business with. Just a thought when you drop that trans pan install a drain plug kit - be careful where yo locate it (for clearing valve body) but it will be the best $7 you ever spent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts