Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,
I am in the process of restoring an upper console on my 1968 Cougar. The console is in pretty good shape, however the vinyl has pulled away from the corners. Any advise on how to pull the vinyl back without tearing it?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Those things all suck! You would think that with the amount of reproduction parts out there, someone would make new ones. Unfortunately, I have to keep an eye on ebay so I can keep upgrading to better ones. My car has been restored from front to back and I'm still relying on these nasty, 40+ year old parts. Sorry that I couldn't help with your problem, but it does feel good to vent a little! Best of Luck!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think with vinyl, a little heat is your friend. Maybe a blow dryer to warm it before you pull the vinyl back or stretch it over the body and reglue it. Careful not to burn it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I was able to successfully repair mine with a hairdryer and a little weatherstrip adhesive. Put some glue on the backside and then warm the edges up until the vinyl feels stretchy, then pull it back into shape. I used clothspins to hold everything in place until it cooled. The metal in yours looks pretty rusty so you'll want to clean that up first otherwise the glue probably won't stick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts