Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,

it has been a long time since I've last written something here but now I want to do some upgrades to my 70 Cougar Suspension and there is such a vast variety of parts and I dont know which ones are usefull and which are completly sensless for me. :confused:

Lets start with the steering:

I want to do the Borgeson Upgrade because my PS is really sloppy. As far as I have read here in the web it seems to be a great upgrade.
But which way should I go? I have factory ps and so I could do the conversion kit, or I change all the parts to manual steering and do the manual to ps conversion. (then I could sell a complett PS kit, and dont have to install the centerlink adapter)
Which way would you recommend?

Second: the suspension:

I have all stock on my front suspension except 1'' swaybar and MC bar+ new shocks. (kyb)
The parts are all a little worn I think and therefor I should make it new.

What I want to do is: shelby drop. The rest is not certain yet.

How about the uca and lca? Are the stock ones good for a little faster street driving?
Which ones can you recommend? I think there are some really crappy repro parts?!

Spring perch? I have read many good things about a roller spring perch? Are these well spend $ or are there other parts that should come in first?

Bump-Steer: I have found (on opentrackers) the baer bump steer tie rod ends. Do you think this is necessary on my car (with shelby drop and eventually lower springs?)

coilsprings: Mine are quite worn. So which ones are good? They shouldnt be too hard but a little stiffer than stock.
I have found some progressive rate springs made by Scott Drake. Are they a good choice?

Anything I have forgotten?

It would be great if you could make a ranking on which upgrades should go first and are the best bang for the bucks.

Rearsuspension: I already have shocks with coilsprings and some leaf spring reinforcements, but I still have serious wheel hopping problems.
So I thougt I want to install some urethane bushings and a traction bar from Traction Masters?
Good/Bad idea? Other ways to go?

As you can see I have no real plan yet and I am totally lost :bloated:
I hope you can help me!
Hope my english is readable. At school (in Bavaria) I didnt learn the words needed for my cat :)

Greetings from Bavaria!

Timon

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Second: the suspension:

I have all stock on my front suspension except 1'' swaybar and MC bar+ new shocks. (kyb)
The parts are all a little worn I think and therefor I should make it new.

What I want to do is: shelby drop. The rest is not certain yet.

How about the uca and lca? Are the stock ones good for a little faster street driving?
Which ones can you recommend? I think there are some really crappy repro parts?!

Spring perch? I have read many good things about a roller spring perch? Are these well spend $ or are there other parts that should come in first?

Bump-Steer: I have found (on opentrackers) the baer bump steer tie rod ends. Do you think this is necessary on my car (with shelby drop and eventually lower springs?)

It would be great if you could make a ranking on which upgrades should go first and are the best bang for the bucks.

Rearsuspension: I already have shocks with coilsprings and some leaf spring reinforcements, but I still have serious wheel hopping problems.
So I thougt I want to install some urethane bushings and a traction bar from Traction Masters?
Good/Bad idea? Other ways to go?
Hope my english is readable. At school (in Bavaria) I didnt learn the words needed for my cat :)
Greetings from Bavaria!
Timon
Timon, Your English is excellent! Much easier to read than some other Americans that post to this site....sad to say. At any rate, I'll comment on what I'm familiar with and what I've thought to make the most difference on my car. I'll rank them by cheapest modification first.

Shelby drop: Very worthwhile and inexpensive. There's lots of info out there on the web regarding the template and position of the holes.

Urethane sway bar bushings: Stiffens up the front bar without being too harsh. I've drilled a hole through the metal "U" bracket and all the way through the bushing so I can grease it with a grease gun. Thread a Zerk fitting into each "U" bracket. I also rifled the hole in the bushing (helical groove cut with a Dremel tool to allow the grease to travel around the sway bar). This works great to completely eliminate any squeaking.

Coil Springs: I'm not sure what front springs I have, because they were on the car when I bought it. If you want to lower your front end by cutting out 1/3 of a coil (keep doing this until you get the ride height you want), it will stiffen up the spring rate. Or, you can just buy some performance springs. Remember, I'm ordering this list by cost.

Rear Sway Bar: I went with a 5/8" Stam Bar adjustable rear sway bar (http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-73-Stam-Bar-5-8-Adjustable-Rear-Adjustable-Sway-Bar-Kit.html). It really balanced out the car. For street driving, I wouldn't go any larger than 5/8". I can adjust it to the point where it is too stiff and makes the car handle weird.

Open Tracker Roller Spring Perches: I really like the way the car drives with these spring perches. I feel that they have completely eliminated my bump steer. I had purchased a Baer Bump Steer Kit, but don't feel like I need to use it. It's still in the factory packaging unopened.

Adjustable Strut Rods: Installing a .25" shim (roughly 6.4mm) between the FRONT bolt of the upper control arm and the outer surface of the shock tower in order to tilt the top of the spindle aft slightly. This will add positive caster which will increase the tracking and stability at higher speeds. To really make this work, I had to buy a set of Global West adjustable strut rods ( http://www.globalwest.net/asr-6.html) so that I could pull the lower control arm forward slightly to center the wheel in the wheel well. The added positive caster made a HUGE difference in how the car tracks on the freeway. Much more stable now. Street or Track also sells Adjustable Strut Rods http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Adjustable-Strut-Rods-pr-16135.html. I'm not sure if there are going to be any long term problems with potential cracks in my shock tower by shimming the upper control arm. '65 and '66 Mustangs use shims to align the front end, but I'm not sure what the maximum shim thickness is. The ideal way to gain more caster would be to invest in some aftermarket upper control arms which allow for caster adjustment, but these are pretty expensive. My car doesn't rack up that many miles in a year, so I'm not concerned. If I raced, I'd spend the money for upper arms.

Shocks: I also have KYB gas-adjust shocks, but I've recently learned that Bilstein now makes shocks for early Mustangs and Cougars. I love these shocks on my '85 Mustang and am seriously considering installing them in place of the KYB's on the Cougar. http://www.maierracing.com/

That's about all I can comment on that I have experience with. Good luck and please post the model year and body style of your car in your signature.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hallo,

thanks a lot for your replies. Helped me a lot.

Happy to hear that my english is ok :)

Now I have some points to start some more research on.

What about Tractionmaster Tractionbars? They seem quite good in my opinion?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings

Timon

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts