Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 302 2v engine with a 2 barrel carb in my cougar. I want to put a 4 barrel on it and i wanted to ask you guys if you know, by experience, what the best type of setup is for street use. I want to have a good amount of power, but i want the car to be reliable too. Any info is appreciated. :1zhelp:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 650cfm carb

If you want a little extra pizazz, then swap your cam out for the Performer cam too to liven it up a wee bit.

There you have it. Logan's recipe for spiffy 4bbl cruisin' goodness.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Weiand dual plane intake is pretty popular. Match it up to a Holly 600 cfm carb and you will have a time proven set up.

You could go with an Edelbrock Performer intake, but from my understanding the Weiand flows better. It costs a little more than the Edelbrock.

You might want to upgrade to a "hi-performance" fual pump as well to handle the extra juice your car will be guzzling when the secondary barrels open up during full throttle.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
General consensus on the SBF, is the Performer RPM is better high and and low end then the Performer. If I were buying a manifold again, I'd get a Performer RPM.

Whatever you do, don't get the performer (not RPM) 351 cam! My car is very well suited for towing now. ;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree with the above recommendations. Myself having done this switch years ago. I actually had a stock ford 4bbl intake so I put that on with a Holley 650 double pumper. Bought the carb used in '83 and never had a problem with the Holley even though many people seem to have problems with them. Don't go over a 650 otherwise you'll end up being overcarburated for the displacement of the engine.(unless your building a monster flowing race 302) just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Go with a good dual plane intake, Edlebrock, Weiand, Offy, etc. they flow about the same and you wont notice any improvement on the street anyways, so what ever is cheaper or available. And a 600-650 Holley, Edelbrock or Carter. All good carbs. I would also put on dual exhaust if there not on already, just go to a muffler shop and get them to install duals and turbo mufflers (cheap) in place of the single. No point in going 4 barrel if you have single exhaust, it just wont breath. That'll wake it up lots, and sound awesome.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If you plan on going headers later on or building up the motor, go to 2 1/2 in. exhaust, the exhaust tubing isnt that much different in price from going from 2 to 2 1/2, just saves money later on doing it again.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
im running an offenhauser with edelbrock 700. not a bad setup and so far have been pleased. but thats what came with the xr7 when i bought it. otherwise im kinda fond of holleys but have had no complaints about the edelbrock.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am doing this to...

I am also converting to 4bbl this comming week, you can see my set up in the photogallery.
Edelbrock performer intake, Holley 4160 600cfm vac. sec.
Also have added a pertronix and if you have not i would! they rock
also doing a cam and lifters, weiand aluminum wp and removing the stock fan in favor of a electric,
and a new timing chain.
lol sorry got ahead of myself...lol
These guys are all right
no bigger than a 600-650
and a possible fuel pump upgrade.
Good luck man!set up

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have dual turn down exhaust on my cat right now. It sounds beefy but i want it to sound beefier and have it go a bit quicker. Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i also have flowtech long tube headers going into flowtech mufflers. Im not sure what size the tubing is though. I should get my cat back this weekend so hopefully i'll post some pictures of her.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have 40 series Flowmasters on my car.. had 50 series ones on it before but i wanted more of a Beefy sound. i think i made the right choice. take a few things into consideration... if the cam is a lil rowdy then im sure the 40 series ones will make it errr, loud. if you run dumps then it will be very loud. got a buddy with a 63 Nova with 40 series Flowmasters and dumps. damn that thing is loud and almost unbearable inside. rattles and resonance .... all that and for some reason the Cougar still felt faster lol need to go heads up next time...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Upgrading a 351

I have a 351 w I plan on upgradeing to a 4 bbl, what would be the best solution? I'm geting flowmasters put on hopefully this next week so that wont be a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts