Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, dropped by the shop today to see where we're at with my Cleavor conversion. This is a two step conversion. First step is what I'm doing now which is getting the top end buttoned up and installed with new headers and such, fabbing accessory brackets and such. In time for the Yellow Rose Classic car show next weekend.

This winter, I'll be building a seriously beefed up stroker short block to go with these ported and polished heads.

With the Speedpro Forged pistons I've got in the existing block, my compression ratio will drop to 8:1 until I get the short block done. So, it'll run like crap, be slow as a slug, but will look cool for the show.

By Spring, I'll have the new short block assembled. The new motors goal will be 500hp & 500ft/lbs and set up for the bottle as well...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Logan,
Thats going to look so COOL! I can't wait to see finished pics. Neal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sweet!:D
You definantly need to post a pic of the V.C.'s, because those are quite possibly the greatest valve covers ever made.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Logan said:

By Spring, I'll have the new short block assembled. The new motors goal will be 500hp & 500ft/lbs and set up for the bottle as well...
Way to go Logan, now you will have three bottle babies :D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick,

Don't think I haven't thought about it. All I'd need to do is replace the rods, crank, and add a stud girdle and she'd be ready to go... Paxton has a nice carb based centrifugal blower kit coming out right away... Hmmmmmm :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Stroked Clevor

Logan,

Where in the world are you going to find 351W based stroker pistons for the canted valve Cleveland heads? I don't think you can use Cleveland pistons since the rod length/deck height issue, but then again, with strokers, who knows what they're using! Cu$tom?

I was briefly thinking about stroking a 351C, but the cylinder walls are marginal at best for even a normal .030 overbore, much less the side loads that a stroker kit would put on the walls.

If I were to make some sort of stroker Windsor, I'd be starting with a 351W block and using a set of TFS, World Products, Roush, or some other aftermarket Windsor heads and forget the Cleveland stuff. Most of the better aftermarket Windsor heads will outflow the Clevelands anyway. Heck, I even try to hide the fact that it was a stroker by painting the whole motor Ford Blue and using a set of stock valve covers, or painting an aftermarket tall set Ford blue. Stealth, my man, stealth! What the other guy doesn't know will bite him on the posterior! :D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stealth?! Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw... I'm more about making the other guy go, "What the hell IS that?"

No worries, as I get the research done and start the build of the short block within the next few months, I'll post all the technical data here...

It's not exactly rocket science, it just requires a little effort to determine the right crank, rods and pistons to achieve the desired displacement and compression ratio...

Cleavor's aren't exactly off the shelf technology. If I wanted to go the same way every one else does, I'm more than aware of all the easier options and ways to build a windsor. Since I've already got the heads on the motor it's kind of a moot point, no?

This isn't about easy, this is about unique, trick & neat. I'm more interested in building something that just isn't seen very much anymore.

Do you walk up to a windsor based car and go, "Wow! Look at that!"? Me neither. :)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I thought about doing a blower set up too, but it would be doing my motor all over again, way to broke for that. For now, (at least this year, it's what the hell is that :)
Here's the intake for my cougar. :)

Attachments

·
5,470 Posts
What the hell is that?

Heck, I get that with my Clevelands all the time. :p: These poor Chebby guys up here sometimes wonder if I put a big block Chevy under the hood. :rolleyes: They do bear a passing resemblance I guess, except for that front-mounted distributor. They'd be really conflusterated with a Clevor!

Stealth? Yeah, I like stealth. Stealth like an old square rusty 89 Grand Marquis that will tear these wanna-be's a new one... Stealth like an old, beat-up, rusty, mis-matched paint 73 Cougar (BetaCat) whipping them 'til they run home to momma...

I honestly have more fun getting a rise out of these wanna-be's with my stealthmobiles than I do with my 'good' cars. (So did my kid sister!) They expect a good looking musclecar to be fast, but ...

I would kinda like to see them go back to their buddies and try to explain how and why some old fart in a Grand Marquis whipped their butt. I kinda sit back there with my 'Grinch grin' after they have been sufficiently spanked. Makes me chuckle for the rest of the day!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahahahhaha... yeah, an 89 grand Marquis would definately be a nice stealth platform...

Wait a tec.. I drive a stealthy souped up grand marquis... :)

·
5,470 Posts
Hot rod Lincoln (...err, Marquis)

Yeah, but yours is supposed to look mean, all blacked out and all. Mine is even tan with a cream vinyl top! My '89 has a 351 EFI GT40 '93(?) Lightning engine and when it had the Paxton supercharger on it, it turned a 11.66 second pass! Now that's a stealth Marquis!

If you want to void the warranty on your new Marauder, we can put a newer-style blower from the new Lightning on your DOHC 4.6 and I'm sure we can wake that puppy up a bit! I'm sure we can get you down into the mid 11s, no problem, even with your 3.55 rear gears (or does yours have 3.73s? I forget.) Like you said before, all it takes is a little research and more than a few $$$.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 03 Marauder is currently running 4.10's and a chip.. Dyno'd 260rwhp and 280rwtq in 100 degree heat... a few days later ran 14.9's in the quarter...

I'm not going to be modifying this 03 much. It's heavily rumored that the 04 Marauder, in Sept 03, will be debuting with a detuned version of the 03 Cobra motor... Which is what the 4200 lb car needs. Torque torque torque...

Keep tuned in on my other site for Marauder info, it's taking off quite nicely. Lots of people stopping by now... http://www.mercurymarauder.net

·
5,470 Posts
Marauder site

Logan,

I know I have been remiss in not visiting your Mercurymarauder.net site earlier. Why do those Chebby guys insist on trying to rain on your parade? Whassa matter, don't they have a site of their own? :p: It makes me wanna go put the Paxton back on the '89 and go whip some ImpSS butt! :D

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well... I just went on over to marauder.net and looked around and after reading some of the closed forums I was reminded of a certain chevy owner that visited our site, cursing whatever he could about cougars. Now if memory serves me right, Red76LT was booted off of our great site and all was right with the world. Why hasnt Madmav received the same treatment? Just all seems real dumb though... Anyways keep up the good work
-kyle-
P.S. I thought your forums had a profanity blocker?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts