Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've read several posts on shocks but most of them are well over 10 years old. I have a base '67 with an added rear sway bar and the Shelby mod to lower the front end by raising the front control arm pickup points. The springs are stock. The shocks (if I remember correctly) are quite old KYBs.

I will likely not be doing much aggressive cornering in this car - so my main focus (especially the rears) is to get some nice smooth daily driver type shocks.

Does anyone out there have recent (i.e. last few years) experience with replacement shocks? It would be nice to get a pair properly tuned to this car so it rides well over bumps.

· Registered
30 Posts
Bilsteins are a phenomenal improvement over stock and the KYBs. They are pricy and recently went up (50%) but shocks have the single biggest impact on your suspension. It’s the last place you should skimp. They are custom valved just for the Classic Fords.

I have added them to 3 Mustangs and the change is dramatic. On my 68 Mustang with all original suspension the the ride was rough, I added the Bilsteins and the ride became supple yet totally predictable. On the other cars with all new suspension the handling became really good, similar to a modern car without any harshness.

Also, the Arning drop AKA the Shelby mod, LOWERS the control arm mounting points by 1 inch, not raises them. The result is improved handling and the front end is lowered about 5/8”. You have to also change the alignment specs to match modern tires.

Bilstein front shocks - Street valve (1967-1970) Cougar - Opentracker Racing

Bilstein Rear Shocks - (1965-1973 Mustang)-(1967-1973 Cougar)-(1960-1970 Falcon / Comet)-(1966-1970 Fairlane )-(1968-1977 Torino) - Opentracker Racing

If you really want to get great suspension for a Driver look at the Opentracker Level 1 Street Suspension

Street Performance Full Suspension Kit - Level 1 (1967-1970) with Bilstein Street Shocks - Opentracker Racing

This is the Mustang kit. just give them a call and tell them you want one for a Cougar and they’ll make the substitutions

Whatever you decide to do, follow these Alignment specs. It fixes The sloppy factory specs and corrects for radial Tires and modern roads.

Tech Information - Opentracker Racing

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Also, the Arning drop AKA the Shelby mod, LOWERS the control arm mounting points by 1 inch, not raises them."

YUP - I said that and then realized it was so LONG AGO I may have forgotten. Yes - the control arm was lowered - the template I used lowers the holes ~ 1 3/16" down and about 1/8" rearward (to help caster). I also have the camber wedges for the ball joint mount from back in the day.

I have run Bilstiens exclusively for decades as my replacement shock. They are on my 2012 Expedition and were on my 5.0 Mustang. I even put them on my Cobra replica - we were going get the set custom valved - and when the guy put them on his shock dyno - they were right where we wanted them so we left them alone.

Thanks for the insight - I have no problem spending a bit more for the quality.

I have been a gear head, autocross and road racer for all my adult life. I custom align cars to my desires and within suspension limitations.

Not sure about changing suspensions out - that would be long term. Since I have an F type R (smaller pulley and tune) and my Cobra - likely the Cougar will not be used on the track.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts