Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this gets lengthy but I can't find the same problem anywhere. I have a 67. When I purchased it had typical headlight problems aka vacuum motors bad. Also when when the high beams were swtched on headlight doors would close. I assumed the vacuum selenoid or high beam switch was bad. Did an electric probe door conversion now headlights don't go down with high beam switch they close after the headlights are on for a few minutes. They will open back up if lights are shut off and left off for a while. I checked voltage of red and yellow wire originally to the vacuum selenoid and now to the new relay for electric conversion and found no power when this occurs. It appears a loss of power to this wire causing the doors to close. It seems like something is getting hot and disconnecting and when cooling off it repowers. Is there a relay from the headlight switch to this wire or could it be the swich itself. Maybe with the old vacuum motors switching high beams was enough added draw to cut power as is happening now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you are trying to run the probe motor just off the signal wire you're pushing your luck--they should be fired by a normal automotive relay and the headlight signal wire needs to fire the relay(s)---sounds like the h/l switch circut breaker is not happy--try firing the motors with just a14ga wire from the battery--if the go up when energized and down when not energized n, you need a relay----on our 67 , cuz of the different actuating speeds , the miata motors needed a relay for each motor
doctordesoto
the signal wire should be on the h/l terminal side of the highbeam switch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are trying to run the probe motor just off the signal wire you're pushing your luck--they should be fired by a normal automotive relay and the headlight signal wire needs to fire the relay(s)---sounds like the h/l switch circut breaker is not happy--try firing the motors with just a14ga wire from the battery--if the go up when energized and down when not energized n, you need a relay----on our 67 , cuz of the different actuating speeds , the miata motors needed a relay for each motor
doctordesoto
the signal wire should be on the h/l terminal side of the highbeam switch
The electric motor system is hooked to a direct wire from the battery to the relay. I believe the signal wire is hooked up correctly. As i said in the original post I believe this same electrical problem was occuring with the vacuum system. Since I posted Ive learned that the headlight switch contains a circuit breaker maybe this is the problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The headlight solonoid has a 5 amp circuit breaker on the panel just below the wiper motor, should have a red wire with yellow stripe going to and from it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The headlight solonoid has a 5 amp circuit breaker on the panel just below the wiper motor, should have a red wire with yellow stripe going to and from it.
Your right mistress, I just found this out yesterday myself after alot of googling. I ordered a wiring assembly book to trace the wires origin. I think it might be this breaker myself but I need to find out if there is an extra draw on this circuit some where or if the breaker is just weak from age if its possible. Like I said in the original post it acts as if something gets hot and disconnects and reconnects after time. I guess its time to get out the multimeter and head under the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts