Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new to the site and new to forums so I hope I do this right and can remember how to get back in to check answers LOL, I have a 67 289, three speed converted to 4 speed Dan Gurney special. Before I got the car someone went through a lot of work to change out the complete interior to a 68 XR7 interior. problem is it is a wiring mess. I was going to put a new harness in it but don't know what to buy. If I get a 68 XR7 wiring harness would it work with the 67 base foundation, also I will try and figure out how to post a picture on here but it has a sunroof in it that looks like possibly an ASC sunroof. It is not power and i have to get it working but afraid to open incase i damage seal and cannot replace. Looking forward to more chats.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi everyone, new to the site and new to forums so I hope I do this right and can remember how to get back in to check answers LOL, I have a 67 289, three speed converted to 4 speed Dan Gurney special. Before I got the car someone went through a lot of work to change out the complete interior to a 68 XR7 interior. problem is it is a wiring mess. I was going to put a new harness in it but don't know what to buy. If I get a 68 XR7 wiring harness would it work with the 67 base foundation, also I will try and figure out how to post a picture on here but it has a sunroof in it that looks like possibly an ASC sunroof. It is not power and i have to get it working but afraid to open incase i damage seal and cannot replace. Looking forward to more chats.
The best choice would be a '67 XR7 harness - it is closer to the '67 standard harness (if both were built after 1/3/67). There are quite a few differences between the '68 XR7 and '67 standard harnesses. The ignition and turn signal connectors are different. The '68 XR7 instrument cluster turn signal indicators are wired differently than the '67.

I would recommend obtaining a '67 XR7 under dash harness, '67 XR7 under hood harness and the RH '67 XR7 tail light harness. The LH tail light harness can be interchanged between the late '67 (XR7 or standard) and '68 - just the sequential system controller connectors are different.

The problem is that except for the under hood harness, these harnesses are hard to find as they have not been reproduced (yet).

The sunroof harness is not integrated with the main harness and can be adapted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best choice would be a '67 XR7 harness - it is closer to the '67 standard harness (if both were built after 1/3/67). There are quite a few differences between the '68 XR7 and '67 standard harnesses. The ignition and turn signal connectors are different. The '68 XR7 instrument cluster turn signal indicators are wired differently than the '67.

I would recommend obtaining a '67 XR7 under dash harness, '67 XR7 under hood harness and the RH '67 XR7 tail light harness. The LH tail light harness can be interchanged between the late '67 (XR7 or standard) and '68 - just the sequential system controller connectors are different.

The problem is that except for the under hood harness, these harnesses are hard to find as they have not been reproduced (yet).

The sunroof harness is not integrated with the main harness and can be adapted.
Thank you for the info! I will get on that, luckily I purchased a 67 XR7 under dash wiring harness for the car before I clued in what was going on. I was going to send it back figuring that maybe I may need a 68 XR7. So I will try this method, I'm guessing this is not going to be plug and play but adaptable. I have a 68 standard Cougar for parts so I will see what i can get off it, The Sunroof is manual crank so no worries there. Thanks again 😃😃

1 - 3 of 3 Posts