Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undercoating vs paint. I will seal all seams before painting. wondering if it is a goo idea to apply undercoating. Always heard undercoating traps moisture. Thoughts on this? Most undercoat restoration?:uhoh:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been using paint lately,(rust primed around seams first), a product called "hammered enamel". When it cures it develops crinkles and has a slight shine to it.

It covers well over rounded edges and holds up well and it looks real good especially on frame rails and supporting braces parts like the front end linkage bars.

I will try to get a before and after pic of a piece I am working on and post it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All of the cars I have worked on have had what's called sound deadner under the fenders and rear quarters and also in the driveshaft tunnel, as far as complete undercoating, thet was done at the dealership. The problem with undercoating, if it gets chipped it lets water get under and can let rust start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use rubber undercoating and like it. But mine doesn't see rain or bad weather. Depends on what your going to use your car for. Daily driver in rain snow etc then rust roofing is huge. Collectible muscle car not too worried about it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i've seen a couple of cars done with spray on bedliner--does not disolve with solvent , is easy to clean ---can be tinted to match or contrast and adds sound deading ---a modern way for old cars
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I did mine with 3m Body Shutz. Good stuff but cost a bit with the gun to apply it and 8 bottles to do entire car (fenders, wheel wells, undercarriage, inside doors, etc.). It does dissolve with solvent though. If I did it again, I think I might have tried the bedliner trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts