Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory done made a mess.What appears to be undercoat or tar is stuck to the firewall of my '67 XR7.It looks terrible with bubbles and runs all over the place.Removing it has proven to be quite an undertaking.

Will I have to suffer for months with a scraper and wire brush or is there an easier way out?I have the engine and transmission out and the front end and fenders are off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now. I found some stuff at a local auto parts house that I never seen before. Some kind of aircraft strength remover. I has all kinds of nasty warnings all over the can. (that means it should work great. ha ha). I'll be trying it this weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
889 Posts
try this

I used a rented high pessure STEAM CLEANER it will peal it right off rent the biggest one you cen get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if the aircraft stripper is going to remove your undercoat, but it does do a great job removing paint.

I tried sandblasting undercoating off my Mach 1....didn't work.

Tried some other chemicals....didn't work.

Ended up using a heat gun (like a Wagner power stripper) and a scraper. Heat up a section of the undercoat, and it just peels right off. I guess that's why a steam cleaner would work on the stuff.

Warning on using the heat gun method: if your lying under the car doing this (like I was), beware of the hot strip of undercoat that's going to fall off.

It will adhere (and burn the crap out of) the first thing it hits. It does work particularly well for removing unwanted arm hair though!!! :cry:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Kind of like a bikini wax on your forehead. ha ha
wells.
I wasn't sure if the aircraft stuff would work either. I was looking at the label and there was some chemicals in it that I was wishfully hoping would soften up the undercoating so I could scrape off. I think I’m probably end up using a heat gun or a hotsy. I only want to do the wheel

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is what I ended up using. it turns all the undercoating into mush. i then just high pressure wash it away.
paint, goo, everything gone. nothing left but bare metal.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

Thank you for posting all your experiences with this infamous problem.You've all been a big help.

Engine rebuilding (especially crankshafts) and driveshafts are my forte....I know nothing about body work.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts