Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
351C 4V ... Replaced the thermostat and when I pulled it out from under the housing, there was a smaller plate under it and it had "top" stamped on it. Never seen that before, does anyone know what that is? It has an opening about an inch in diameter.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You have the highly coveted "top hat" that is usually missing in the clevo's - it's a restrictor to help ensure the thing doesn't overheat...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And you should be using a correct T-stat that has a doo-dad which goes down into the hole in the restrictor when the stat is open. A 351C specific T-stat.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you should be using a correct T-stat that has a doo-dad which goes down into the hole in the restrictor when the stat is open. A 351C specific T-stat.
Thanks guys...Bob, would you have a picture of the "correct" T stat with the doo-dad shown? I told them at O'Reilys that it was a 351C 4V and it is a "M' code...just want to be sure before I seal it back up.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Winner !

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, here is the update on the thermostat situation, for a long time the thing had been running hot (according to the gauge)....but in the last week or so with the high temps here in Iowa I was really leery of even running the air conditioning and didn't (DOH!)...but it never pinged, or dieseled or blew anti freeze out of the overflow tube...my neighbor brought over his infra red thermometer while it was "overheating" and the radiator read 196 degrees (when the needle was pegged on HOT)...with a 195 thermostat that seemed about right. I replaced the water pump, vacuum advance module, all of the vacuum lines, thermostat, starter, intake gaskets and valley pan, temp sending unit, flushed it out and some other odds and ends...so,we took the sending unit out and replaced it with one that actually said "for a gauge" from O'Reilly's (like 10$ to buy)...it was running normal and the temp never even got close to half way on the gauge, even when it was over 100 degrees outside. Wish I had known it was fine during the heatwave...somewhere along the way a sending unit for an idiot light must have been installed, which made it look like it was ready to boil on me. I think that it is happy now...I don't care now if I am just going around the block...I am running the air conditioning. :)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A/C we don't need no stinkin A/C - that stuff running down my forehead into my eys is liquid pride - LOL!! yeah, I wouldn't put a ton of weight behind the 'ol factory guage. If you really want to know you can get an actual in the block guage and just tuck it under the dash or in th glovebox, OR you can get one of those Mr gasket rad caps that has it built right into it and look really cool when the other kids see it! ;>0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts