Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The restoration of my '67 GT XR-7 is in full swing, but I've got a question - were the hoods painted underneath at the factory? I think it was but the restorer believes that the black appearance of the underside of my hood is original. I suspect it's probably a replacement hood (there's some evidence the car was once hit in the nose) that the body shop didn't paint as it should have. There is some Lime Frost overspray near the rear corners on both sides that could have come from painting the hood on the car.

Otherwise, the factory insulation pad appears to be still intact so that's part of what is making us question what the factory did. Anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
All my mustangs and the 3 cougars I have had were painted under the hood same color as the body.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The underside of the hood would have been painted body color although not as nicely as we like to do them today.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I agree also that the underside should be painted body color. The underside of my hood is body color. John

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agreed all three of the Cats I have owned(68-69-70) were body color on the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Should be painted body color, but don't feel all alone, my paint guy worked really hard to paint the underside the hood on one of my cars black... It came in that way and he thought it was stock... DOH!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! I have let the restorer know that the hood needs to be painted on both sides.

Bill, thanks for letting me know about your paint guy. I almost felt sheepish for even having to ask the question. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts