Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on undercoating for my 69?

Thanks,
Gio:1zhelp:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm using POR 15 alot thinner an rubberized undercoating my 2.5 cents

·
Registered
588 Posts
I used Corroless (similar to POR-15) followed by a coat or two of rubberized undercoating. I usually prefer 3M products but I use the Mar-Hyde undercoating as it seems to be better. I also put a coat of black paint on it after it has dried for a couple of days.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I usually just buy whatever is cheaper but I usually buy 3M. Everything they make is great so what the hell, I will buy their undercoating. I was thinking about that line-x crap to under coat my car and do my whole truck in it. I HATE RUST!!!! Any suggestions on that? Good luck GIO1969. Later!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bruce said:
I used Corroless (similar to POR-15) followed by a coat or two of rubberized undercoating. I usually prefer 3M products but I use the Mar-Hyde undercoating as it seems to be better. I also put a coat of black paint on it after it has dried for a couple of days.
That's the way i have done it also. Put a coat of black paint over it. That way the undercoat will not crack... this is the best solution to prevent cracks,

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
This Corroless and POR15, is that like a rust converter/inhibitor.
We have stuff here called Rusist, it converts the rust to whatever rust converts to, thinish milky colour then goes purple when it goes over the rust, stays milky over good metal, not deep rust, more like surface type rust. Normally I would sand off surface rust, but for the spots I can't get to.................., then could I paint rubberizing over that or would I have to put a rust preventative on first. Will have to do Ruby's underbelly one of these days, so may as well get all the info now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So how do you go about removing 35 year old undercoating? Or should it be left alone?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Good question, tkdtdk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sandblast, EPOXY layer (shuts off the oxygen), undercoat, paint!!!
4 words, and you don't have to be under there ever again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts