Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to strip away under coating? Any special tools, techniques, or chemicals needed?

What brands or types do you recommend when recoating? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
the best thing i found if it is old stuff is to use an air chisel on low air so not to damage the metal , I did the whole underside of my car that way and it went real fast

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I just did my whole car to bare metal 3 weeks ago. I used several different widths of scrapers and putty knives. I found no chemicals that made it easier. The drier the better (it breaks off in chunks that way), I just used old fashioned elbow grease! Then when I was done I used several old rags and gasoline to remove all the residue and small bits that were left. I SUCKED but it looks awesome now...
Scott

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Undercoat, BAH!

I really hate the old factory undercoats. Much of the time they did more harm than good.

For undercoat removal, the best thing I've found is to use a propane torch with a flame spreader attachment. All you have to do is warm the undercoat a little, and then scrape off with a putty knife. Clean up the residue with mineral spirits, then again with a more volatile solvent before painting.

I'm using one of those trigger ignition torches to make things safer and easier. By that I mean you don't have to worry about where the torch is pointing while you're busy scaping. Over the years, I've burnt up my share of things that really should not have been burned! Oops! Now I try to make things as foolproof as possible. I'm sure you know which fool I'm talking about here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used a heat gun and a putty knife, following up with mineral spirits. It's alot of work,but well worth it. I spent lots of time under my car,but the alignment guys were impressed,(It doesn't take much). Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I really had no idea how to go about doing this. I was afraid that it would come down to some old fashion elbow grease... I'll try using that torch...hopefully this fool won't set anything on fire that shouldn't be on fire...:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I started with a 3M black fiber stripping wheel and put it on my air die grinder. I took the thick stuff right off. Then I sandblasted the entire underneath. It was hard work but looks sweet now.

I'll post some pics in the photo gallery since I can't figure out how to attach them to this post.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Believe it or not, do you know how i did the finish? After i've put new undercoat on it, i've let it dry real good, and sprayed a good layer of black paint over it. that way the undercoat will not crack. No cracks, no dirt in there, and no new rust, (after you did allot of work under there). AND IT REALLY HOLDS FINE!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
428CJ, does the paint seal the under coating then?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yep, Zhat, and it is so easy to clean also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts