Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
as of late i have been thinking on what i should do to this eliminator i just bought a few months ago.I mean as far as i can tell its a rare car(351c 3 speed manual). But after seeing Bill Q`s 69 xr7 (restomod) that is where i have come to a dead end.(do i wanna restore it original? do i wanna make it a restomod?do i wanna sell it n find a plain jane69-70 and build a pavement pounder?) Guys/gals help me out n give me your ideas and thoughts.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 competition gold eliminator

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang nab it
i meant to say "what" not "ehat" sorry
pat

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Eliminators deserve to be restored, not resto-modded IMHO...

If you're gut is telling you you want a pavement pounding machine that goes thump thump thump at idle, then buy yourself a 67-70 standard or XR7 and go nuts... :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Pat,
Most Eliminators are all stock, nothing special other then just being an Elim. I'd say cut the towers so you can put in a bad to the bone Chevy 454 with a Powerglide, then we'd need to scrap the front end in order to put on a fiberglass front clip. It'll have to have a cage to prevent the body from torquing---a jungle-gym style 10 point cage. To put the power to the ground, you'll have to tub wheel wells and narrow the rear. To get rid of more weight you can throw away the stock dashboard in favor of an alumium dash, with just toggle switches to turn stuff on---like brake lights. Put in a fuel cell and then scrap all the remaining trim pieces like the wing and spoiler. Throw away the scoop too because you should be running a tall snorkle style that says Moroso.
Then they'd lock me up for murder-1.

I'd say the Elims have great styling all their own. But sometimes they need little bolt on performance parts like cams, intakes and carbs---all while retaining the original stuff on a shelf.

Have Fun,

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My o.o2c's worth, restore it to original.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone,
i think i will restore it to original.But i think ill upgrade the engine and beef it up a bit.Anyone know of a 70 3 speed manual tranny that they wanna get rid of?
thanks for the wake up call
pat
p.s. if i had a plain jane xr7 or a standard cougar that may be different.It seems like everytime i look for a car i come across a rare item, take my convertible for instance.Its a 70 standard triple white car(white roof,white interior,white exterior) not knowing how many there were until i purchased the kevin marti report, come to find out i got 1 of 24 sitting in my garage. And i asked phil parcells if he has any others in his database and he said no, i was the only 1 in his database. So i guess i`m better off restoring it to original. But i am gonna keep the original engine and purchase the 3 speed tranny and rebuild them and install them.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Eliminator

Go with Logan's idea. All Eliminators are rare and increasing in value.
Besides, where do you find a bad to the bone 427 chevy. A chevy engine of any kind would de value the car. You can buy chevy parts at Walmart.
IF YOU CAN'T BITE-DON'T GROWL

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Restore to origanal elims are rare and should be enjouyed as such if you want the styling of the elim but want to mess around buy a standard and have fun. that one reason i dont buy or invest in rare cars i would destroy them by playing to much and driving to much. you really dont want to make it an every day driver but an xr7 now thats a car that has lots of potential.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sell the eliminator, get a std cougar, and beef that up.

Either keep the Eliminator original or give it to someone who will, old rare cares deserve to be restored.

Oh, and put a Chevy engine in it? Is that sarcasm?

Don't cross the breeds!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Do what you want with it, just make sure you can put it back to stock form and that all mods are reversible. 4 wheel disk, and subframe connectors will improve it, but back halfing it will totally kill it, so keep the mods resonable, and have fun with it.:D

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,
i wouldn`t even think of cutting the back half out. I am gonna beef up the drivetrain though, plus like rick said gonna add frame connectors and stiffen up the shock towers,put in a rear disc setup.I`m gonna make the car very enjoyableto drive as well as enjoyable to show,there won`t be any color change or any engine size upgrade gonna leave it a 351c car but gonna put the original engine away and build one i got waiting for it.I got a block and a crank already and gonna go with a set of 4v closed chambered heads and a aftermarket intake and carb but keep all the original parts packed away and stored where they wont get any harm.The only difference you may see that wont be original will be the wheels/tires.Don`t get me wrong i like the styled steel wheels but gonna put a set of aftermarket wheels/tires on. But all in all the car wont be cut up for any BB CHEVY or any 1/4 mile weekend warrior looks. I want a good stance,great power,good looking street eliminator
thanks
pat

1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 competition gold eliminator

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Cool, good choise. Personally.I think the subframes and rear disk's is a wise choise. Safety rules:D and it wont hurt the value of the car (maybe a little I guess, but if you never sell it, it doesnt matter). I did subframes in my car (homemade) and plan on doing disk in the rear eventually. I also have the original motor in a bag downstairs, and building up another 351C, and have the 4 speed and rear already. Just need a few more things before I can continue on my re-assembly, but the parts I have are good enough to get it running this year, so Im not waiting on them. It should be assembled by mid August if things go well, and running. Then I can CRUIZE and terrorize the town.:D
I still have a stock hood and trunklid, so if they dont sell, just drive around with it looking stock all in primer:D so Im not harrassed until I get all the bugs worked out. Its been sitting for 7 years.

Have fun with your car, and build it the way you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts