Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 69 throttle cable with an unbroken inner sleeve. The inner sleeve is the black tube that is part of the square piece that snaps into the throttle bracket.

I tried to repair mine, but it would not stay. I cut it off at the square and it is fine without the sleeve, but wouldn't mind replacing it with an unbroken one.

PM me with price and condition if you have one you'd like to sell.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Bob, I was looking at a '69 at a cruise in and he had used a '68 pedal assembly and rod. Is that a possibility for you. I think he said that the hole in the firewall was already marked but not drilled. He did it to eliminate the kick down rod and the cable.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, I was looking at a '69 at a cruise in and he had used a '68 pedal assembly and rod. Is that a possibility for you. I think he said that the hole in the firewall was already marked but not drilled. He did it to eliminate the kick down rod and the cable.
?? Why would that help? You know I'm running a 4 speed, right? It's just that the little sleeve was broken and a repair wouldn't stay/take. The original cable style is fine and without issue other than the sleeve (which is hidden in the following picture).

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yes, I realize you have a 4 speed. It's all good to me. On the car I was looking at it looked very clean, no cable bracket, a smaller throttle return spring, etc (and on his automatic he didn't have the big kick down rod to mess with). I thought that the time to consider doing it differently would be when you were faced with finding a hard to get part, that seems prone to failure.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
351W I assume? I have a couple somewhere. If I get a chance I'll take a look.

Not using one in my Cat at the present because I went to a 71-73 pedal and cable with the integrated return spring when I installed my Edelbrock carb.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill,

Oh, okay. No thanks though, I have a Holley bracket that works real nice, just a broken sleeve on the cable. Thanks for the suggestion however.

Yelo,

Thanks, PM me if you have something. Yes, 351W (originally, C now).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
bob i have no idea what mine looks like, as i am using a lokar , ill check it out for you

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a note, there are two styles, one for 69 and one for 70. The 70 has a ball and plastic clip on the pedal side while the 69 has a "T" bar, a sort of piece of a rod cast onto the end of the cable (see the picture I posted above on the left side).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
mines a true 69 that had a 351 w 2bl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts