Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on a paint color for a 71 cat, I have chosen 3 colors so far and it just gets harder. Wild voilet, Semi gloss black, Candy Apple Red. Any ideas or sugestions will be appreciated. I am trying to produce a muscel look thinking all chrome to be matching color and no badging.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Pick any color so long as it's black! ;>) Candy colors are of course going to cost considerably more and are not the easiest to do - even pro shops sometimes have issues with shadowing etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got the GT in Yellow Glow so Yellow is out, and a spray painter told me candy apple if damaged the whole car will need a respray.
I like the idea of a semi gloss black.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
How about the original color ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Black is fine so long as the car is straight. If there is any question about the panels being straight, go with silver or a "gun-metal gray", I think Mustang had one called Pewter. You may also try the medium metallic blue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black is fine so long as the car is straight. If there is any question about the panels being straight, go with silver or a "gun-metal gray", I think Mustang had one called Pewter. You may also try the medium metallic blue.
Gun Metal Gray in a semi gloss might be the way to go, Its a tuf call

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Stay away from candy if the car's a regular driver.

Your painter friend is right, it's very hard to patch if there's any damage.
That said, it does look awesome on a '71.

I just did mine in semi gloss, it looks mean as hell, but it is quite hard to spray correctly. It's very easy to make it look patchy.

When I was looking at colours for mine, I'd thought of Volkswagen/Audi's Tornado red, as seen on the Golf, and the Audi quattro. I thought it would look awesome with some black striping, and some black accenting on the hood.
This is my old quattro.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stay away from candy if the car's a regular driver.

Your painter friend is right, it's very hard to patch if there's any damage.
That said, it does look awesome on a '71.

I just did mine in semi gloss, it looks mean as hell, but it is quite hard to spray correctly. It's very easy to make it look patchy.

When I was looking at colours for mine, I'd thought of Volkswagen/Audi's Tornado red, as seen on the Golf, and the Audi quattro. I thought it would look awesome with some black striping, and some black accenting on the hood.
This is my old quattro.
WOW WOW I love these colors why did you do this now its so hard to choose
by the way, any more picks of the candy apple red?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a look at Falcon AU colour - K6 Meteorite, but just don't come to Brisbane and park next to my 68
Keep up that tone and i just might rock up and see that 68 or you can post a pic here..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Hard to beat gloss black.
I like the semi-gloss black on some cars, but gloss black done right lends a certain austerity to a car. It also shows every little imperfection, so best start with a straight car or have a good body worker.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
This is the only other one I have, it was at the '07 Nats in Denver, so somebody out there must know about it.
If I remember correctly, it was "brandy candy apple red".

WOW WOW I love these colors why did you do this now its so hard to choose
by the way, any more picks of the candy apple red?

·
Registered
223 Posts
How about the original color ?
+1 yes keep it as original as possible. There are way too many resto mod Cougars already. If this keeps up there will be few original examples left. I have been to several car shows this summer and of the half dozen or so cats I have seen mine is the only completely stock example. Kinda makes me sick.

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the only other one I have, it was at the '07 Nats in Denver, so somebody out there must know about it.
If I remember correctly, it was "brandy candy apple red".
Thanks heaps for the effort in finding the photo, i will go with the red but a real deep wine red. I should have it back in about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks heaps for the effort in finding the photo, i will go with the red but a real deep wine red. I should have it back in about 4 weeks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts