Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Ummm Ginger got heated today...please help!!

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  modifiedmark 
#1 ·
Ok i drove my Cat today for about a hour or so when i noticed that it was running really close to the hot side, then she was a line away from HOT!!! It was weird tho she did not seem to exhibit the typical overheated symptoms,there was no loss of power, no funny smells or steam...just got real real real hot

I also as of late have noticed that the gague has been acting funny.
I will be driving on the highway(with the electric fan off) and as soon as i stop at a light she jumps from cool to 3/4 gauge almost immediatly?

I am putting a new thermo and waterpump on tommoro but if i do not need to please let me know.'

As she sits now she has no thermo, and the water pump makes a weird knocking noise from time to time then it goes away when she warms up.
I AM CONFUSED!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks

#2 ·
Your gauge symptom is indicitive of the incorrect sending unit. If you have the sending unit for idiot lights, your gauge will act funny. Please disregard if you have the right one... If you have the correct sending unit already, try replacing it with a new one. What do you have to lose?

I hate electrical problems!

Cougrrcj

#6 ·
Hot!

My 71 was running hot today also. I was driving most of the day and in the early afternoon I was cruising along on the highway at 70 when it started to rise. I got off and had to make a stop and when I got back in after 5 minutes or so it was almost all the way to hot. I drove it home in stop and go traffic and it climbed back down to just past center (where it usually runs). Thermostat?? Or was the water pump not keeping up at the higher rpms on the highway? I may change both just for the fun of it lol I had to drive her the last few days because my regular car was waiting for a part. Put about 150 miles on her and no problems other than that hot period this afternoon (it was about 90 here in Florida today) Happy Wednesday and have a great week!!

#7 ·
hot side

Of most all of the cars that I have owened over the years,and te people I have talked to It seems the BIG BLOCKS always run on the hot side especially when doing "city driving" I had a 455,two 390s,a 400 both GM and Ford but when doing Highway driving its fine.If the radiator is good and the block is clean I wouldnt worry too much.But if you BURY THE GAUGE then I would be suspect of something wrong. Or If things get really smelly. Dan

#9 · (Edited)
Well i am gonna tackle everything tommorow...on a side note i got my new air cleaner for my 4bbl conversion tonight and it is killer, i will have pics up on my site in a bit:) Also gonna take pics of the conversion process. Hopefully start that Sat afternoon also Sat morning going down to have my Flowmasters put on!!

#10 ·
This is one of the reasons I really dislike those hot indicators you never really know what that means by the letters and I like to have a number indication. I put manual temp and oil gauges in my cougar works great. But overall if the water pump is making noise you might want to replace it now, and do all the other little nit picky stuff all at once.

#11 ·
You mean a 390 isn't supposed to smell like it's on fire??? :)

Here in the frozen wasteland, we only have about 3 or 4 days of sweltering heat and of course I was caught in stop-and-go traffic for 35 minutes in one. Lots of antifreeze pumping out of the overflow tube but much to my surprise it didn't overheat!!!

Methinks the fan shroud is the most important piece of the puzzle when you have a belt driven fan. Of course that is making the assumption you have a good radiator.

Now, if I could just unload this Demon 750 carb...

#12 ·
Kevin

My fan shroud is perfect, radiator is just about new ( about 2 years old) and the coolant is still green, but i am gonna empty the system and do a complete flush and all also thinking about trying that temp dropping stuff...Anyone use this stuff before?

Also should i keep the underhood matting stuff because mine is falling apart...lol

#13 ·
Dave look at this. Neal.

#14 ·
Make sure that the wire "spring" is still on your lower radiator hose. Turning wrenches in TX got me my share of overheating problems. The 2 most common for over heating at speed (other than no coolant) were plugged radiator and collapsing lower radiator hose. It's amazing how many people remove that wire from a molded hose! At speed the suction from the water pump can cause the hose to close up.
Overheating in traffic can have a lot of causes - bad fan clutch, clogged radiator, missing fan shroud, bad thermostat...
Also - you may want to try some of that "Water-Wetter" additive. It worked for me and thus far I have not heard anyone say that it doesn't.....

#15 ·
Well after a whopping 15 minutes the new thermo was in and all was fine for 30 mins then i drove it got it home and the needle did not move i was excited, then i shut her down and cleaned up the garage to put her in and when i restarted the needle was at the line before H again...hmmmm. Badcatt explained this as heat soak and told me to re check the coolant lvl, it was down a 1/4 tank right at the first cooling line for the tranny so i added more and am gonna try this again today...lol
Wish me luck!!!

#16 ·
ummm now i am confused

Ok took the cap off and waited for the flow to start again she hit the middle mark and all was well. Took her out 3 times and no sign of overheating, she actuall got cooler. Now here is my ?
The upper hose is still not showing signs of pressure and i can pull the cap off with no coolant spray? I am totaly lost here, also the Rad spit a tiny bit out of the puke tube after i parked her the last time, not much but enough for me to go hmmmm. Any ideas?

PLMK
Thanks

#19 ·
I took ModifiedMarks advice back a while ago when we were discussing this stuff. I bought (another) good mechanical guage, new thermostat, and a candy thermometer. Dumped all in a pan of water, put on stove and started to heat. Watch for the thermostat to open as advertised, and calibrate temp gauge to candy thermometer. Not very messy, you can see it all happen with your own two eyes, and KNOW if you are hot or just have a squirrely light. Works perfectly, not messy... need I say more??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.