Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in part shares with a friend of mine (Rich) and this picture of our Cougar was taken at a local Rod & Custom show'n'shine. The car came into the UK and was first registered in about '72 or '73. By the looks of some of the interior panels, inside the doors etc the car was orginally a burgundy/maroon colour (sorry guys - color). Motivation is provided by a warmed up 351ci Windsor (hi lift cam, hi comp pistons, balanced etc), the engine was built by the previous owner to us and is really a sweet unit although exact details of the build are a little hazy. An FMX box backs this up, fitted with a shift kit & heavy duty clutches, which then feeds into a locker diff.

The guy we bought it off lives about 3 miles away from me, when checking the registration documents, he bought if from someone who lived less than half a mile away from where I live now, so the car has probably spent most of it's UK life within a 5 mile radius of my house.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
...And it looks grrrrrreat! - Chad

·
Registered
364 Posts
bloody hell, that is a sweet one...

and i see no brit models in that photo. aren't there any brit cars at those shows? surely someone has a souped up mini or jaguar to show off....

hey, chris, you anywhere near london?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
great looking car. it is the same color as a Mustang i painted today. but the Cougar is a nicer car. he he he ( i dont hate Stangs, but i just was reponsible for putting ANOTHER red convt on the road, sorry people ) ( btw, it was originally green )

·
Registered
364 Posts
(here we go again...)

sixt9, I've always heard that the WORSE thing you can do to a classic, as far as losing value, is to paint it a different color than it was originally.

Your opinion?

(and IF someone MUST have a Mustang, it SHOULD be red!)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Nowadays painting a vehicle a colour other than stock is perfectly acceptable on a non-concours vehicle...

You do what YOU like, not what others expect. To :devil: all of 'em...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok ok ok, specs on the Stang i shot ----- 67 Convt, now is candy apple red with a black interior and top. has a console, automatic C4. 289 2bbl,i have pics somewhere ll try to post one "before" pic and an after pic once i take some. the car is not mine, i shot it for someone and i think that the color is nice, but it doesnt suit the lines of a 67 ( esp from the rear ) if it was my car, i would have painted it the original color ( seafoam green i think is the name of it. light green, kind of silverish ) and made it a white interior and top. but those are my tastes. the car is not all that original, but its getting back to a stock state. i think the owner likes the idea of an original car, but is confused a bit about what to do about it. sure as hell made it alot more work for me. some pics are below.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
BTW that is cheap ugly paint in that pic, if you saw it up close there were alot of sanding scratches in it. it was ugly. and pretty wavy to. its nice now thanks to, well take a guess :D and that is some of the damage there. i had sme minor rust in the 1/4, some strange dent on the top of the drivers door, some wrinkles in the shock towers, taillight panel waves, new decklid that had some dents in it, but no bondo like the one it had before. and i had to shave the marker lights off of the front fenders. ( all of the front sheetmetal was off of a 68 )

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the complimentary comments guys.

I live in an area of the Country called "The Midlands", the industrial heartland of the UK, and not far from the city of Birmingham which is about 120 miles away from London.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to mention - there are plenty of rodded & customised British Cars but I had to crop the photo quite a bit so it would fit on the forum page.

Behind our car you can just see the rear end of a blue Ford Popular a model from the 1950s and a car that is probably the mainstay of the UK rodding scene.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts