Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the wiper motor and switch, there is a red, a blue, a white, and a black wire. We assume the black is ground. When the red and white cross, current flows, and therefore should start the wipers? Am I seeing that right? What in the heck is the blue wire for? Is this just for the second stage/high speed wipers? We can't get anything through it.

Those of you with Chiltons or wiring diagrams can see these wires and maybe help me?

I am trying to ensure that my two motors that I have (one that is the stock one, and one purchased from gqconley) are not both bad.

I have put a 12V lead on the red wire of one motor on the table, grounded the black and have nothing but a hot wire in my hands (ouch!), I have crossed the red and white wires on a 12V lead and grounded the black and have had a hot wire again (this is like a short)... and I have just hooked up the blue and black. That gives me nothing.

Do the red, white, and blue wires have to go together to a hot lead and then the black be grounded out before my motor will do anything on the table?

In other words,

what's the best way to test my motors and my switches.

Does anyone understand my 1 am too tired lingo?

:1zhelp:

:cry:

Heather

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm not sure on the hook-up, but the case would be ground. Also, have you checked the washer switch on the floor lever?..

Bruce

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wiper motor wires and stuff

Yes, I have checked the floor switch, I noticed that when I pushed the floor switch, I got a measurement on both the red and white wires at the motor with the key on, but nothing else happened.

Heather

·
Registered
269 Posts
hcgalvin said:
I have put a 12V lead on the red wire of one motor on the table, grounded the black and have nothing but a hot wire in my hands (ouch!),
The black wire in this case is the hot wire also. THe ground is the chassis.

This diagram may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wiper stuff

Woohoo thanks! The chilton guide sucks in this case. I will work on this tommorrow.

Heather

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, the switch was bad. After 2 used motors and 1 new motor and still no workie.. time to look at other things. I pulled out the switch, and took it apart, and unsoldered peices fell out. Luckly I found a salvage yard here that specializes in mustangs and cougars... and got a new switch. They work!!!

Heather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts