Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Ugg..not feelin' as good about this Purchase- GT related

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  benchseat67 
#1 ·
:uhoh:

I think I got too excited too fast on this one. The inspector did tell me she was tired looking in the paint and some chrome areas! But did I listen???:bloated:

I paid too much. Dayum.

Oh well, she'll be a GREAT driver. And she is a '67 GT XR-7 4 speed.

The power and driving experience is great, but she's got some warts for a "survivor"!

Live and learn..I'll show some pics (I'll have to do "before and after" cleaning..what a mess after a long trip in Winter from Northern Michigan!) but nothin yet. It's gonna be a tiring weekend of elbow grease application :)

#2 ·
Pinstripe-ends are supposed to be the same on a '67 vs a '68, right? (the half inch gap at all panel/seams)

What color would they be on an inverness green car? these are Gray. Something's up..

#4 ·
Hmm. That's good to hear! I have a friend who just looked at his original paint '67 and '68 both side by side, and the gaps aren't there in the '67. I seem to remember someone saying the gaps are different in '67s..Anyone?

Thanks Gry!

B

#5 ·
They always look better in the pics. The seller of my G never sent me pics of the large paint chips on the hood, But all in all I still think I got a good deal. On the bright side it will keep you busy longer...LOL

#6 ·
Which is also why there is no substitute for your own eyeballs on the vehicle before you actually pull the trigger.

Kinda like the gentlemen that bought "Gunner", didn't he fly down specifically for the purchase, even though he had arranged for an "expert" to look at it?

#7 ·
Which is also why there is no substitute for your own eyeballs on the vehicle before you actually pull the trigger.

Kinda like the gentlemen that bought "Gunner", didn't he fly down specifically for the purchase, even though he had arranged for an "expert" to look at it?

Well yeah.. (On both Counts) what's yer point??

;)

#9 ·
Stripes are quite different from 67 - 68, and the '68 stripes were different if done at Dearborn as opposed to San Jose.

#11 ·
We need more pictures, or is it cow bells?

#14 ·
So, what is the difference between stripe application on '68 San Jose and Dearborn built cars?

#15 · (Edited)
Alright..I'm feeling better about it now! Thanks for the responses, guys..I'd thought that the '67 scheme was different..it needs to be updated on the National Judging sheets, if it isn't done already ;)

The good news is..the car runs fantastic! And the other good news is that the original paint cleaned up fairly well. The drivers side door seems to have had a boo boo sometime, as that area has been resprayed somewhere along the line. Then the other side has a large area with the pinstriping buffed off at one point. I can still detect the factory "blackout" above the pinch welds, and the original weld marks are nice and clean under there. There is a bit of rust developing right behind the front wheels on the lower body, but as a driver, this car is gonna be fine. Trunk looks great. Original spare tire is there, and the sequential unit works as new..still gettign blinks on the dash as long as the sequentials are on. That is quite unusual.

The underbelly of the car looks GREAT! Even though the folks that rebuilt the engine and cleaned up the car have sprayed it with some rattle can undercoating..I am very very happy with the cleanliness of the car under there. The exhaust system is in fact all original, hangers all look great too!

And the interior..I love it. The '67 XR-7 package is just gorgous. The condition of the chrome and fixtures and upholstry, headliner and carpet rivals that of "Sandy". The steering wheel? Ohh..that '67 steering wheel! It is pristine. So is the Shifter boot and bezel..The instrument bezels are absolutely streak and haze FREE too..I had a good chuckle when I saw Mr. Blaylock's old Cigar butts stacked up in the ashtray, too. With the hood all shiny and clean, the view from the driver's seat is fantastic.

All-in-all, the more I'm with the car, the more I'm liking it. I guess that's the most important part ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.