Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the title says.. i have been looking around on the net but i cant seem to find any info of someone using a lysholm style supercharger on a FE. Anybody here ever hear or see someone running a setup like that?

im just curios since this is the route i would most like to go on my build. having the FE in my engine bay puts space at a premium so twin turbos would be quite a project in fabrication. i have seen plenty of roots style setups but i honestly dont want the attention that would bring me with it sticking out the hood. (small town and the local constabulary are already familiar with me from other cars and bikes lol)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
What about remote mounted turbo's...? http://www.ststurbo.com/
Don't know of anyway your gonna keep a huffer on the down low on a FE..? Big hood bulge - meh

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Have you considered Paxtons?
Shelby managed to fit twin superchargers and an FE under the hood of a Cobra and a '67 GT500, so it can be done.
Would also be a "period correct" way to go, if that matters to you.

10874twin_supercharged_cobra2.jpg

10874twin_supercharged_cobra.jpg

173_0311_03z+1967_Ford_Mustang_GT500+Engine.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered Paxtons?
Shelby managed to fit twin superchargers and an FE under the hood of a Cobra and a '67 GT500, so it can be done.
Would also be a "period correct" way to go, if that matters to you.

to be honest i just dont like centrifugal style superchargers. between a centrifugal or turbo, i would pick turbo everytime. and i actually am entertaining the thought of a STS style setup but it would be a lot of fab work and i think all that piping would be a pain to get it all packaged in there.

dont get me wrong, i had a 87 tbird turbo coupe that ran mid to high 13's so i love the easy power of a good turbo system. BUT, im really enamored with the idea of a lysholm setup. the keys points being: 1.positive diplacement pump, so you are making targeted boost right off idle. 2. advertised efficiency is close to that of turbos 3. packaging, no jungle gym of intake/exhaust piping and nothing sticking out the hood. now a con of a lysholm would be the inability to run a intercooler but with a well thought out methanol injection system i should be fine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I agree with going with a multi-screw set up for a modern type blower - the Kenne Bell ones are kick-n-ass and taking names, but even that low profile on a tall motor is gonna be a tough fit with the pewny hood clearance the cats have. On the mod motors you have the benefit of a sunken in manifold setup. I wonder if you could custom build a manifold that would sink low enough and still flow well....? I don't think the head angles are condusive to that much drop (which is why the 4.6/5.4 are such fatties).....do some serious measurements, google everything you can find....somebody must have lookewd at this by now

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have also been thinking of this. but i would like a roots like on a 1990 supercoupe,have a maf and throttle body and put fuel injectors in the intake rails. then a computer to manage all this, and i think it would all fit under the hood. only wish i was smart enough to do this.with a inner cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts