Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Generally, there is a reason why fuses blow. With my digital multimeter in current mode, I put the leads on each end of the old blow fuse while it is still in place. If it maxes out, I go hunting for the problem. If it is less than 20% higher than spec, I might bump up the fuse to one with a little higher rating. In either case, you don't want to bypass the fuse. The wires can heat up and catch on fire if there is a serious short.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
x2 on that one. First know the correct fuse that belongs in there, then see what happens if you replace and it blows right away trace that puppy down. See if you can test it from the fuse holder each direction to find the short....

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
There are four round contacts under your turn signal cam; two above and two below the center post. Your cam can warp, which prevents it from making contact between the opposite corner pairs. The other possibility is the contacts are dirty or corroded. To clean them, you have to take your cam off, but it is a real pain to get back on so that it will stay. I tried to replace just my cam a long time ago. It didn't work for very long. I recommend replacing the entire switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts