Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals seem to have a mind of there own. One minute (click click click) then the next minute (____________) no click. Would I be correct in assuming this is a problem with the switch in the column due to my hazards working fine. I still have original sequential motor in the trunk. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks Lance

If you are ever in southern Illinios and you see a bright yellow 68 roll up it is me. So far I'm the only one in town, I hope to keep it that way also..............

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Mine does the same thing but usually only when the lights are on and or the brakes are on... after I run the cat for about an hour they work fine so I know it's a power thing.... New alt. is installed but I'm not sure how old the battery is... The outside lights work fine it's just the indicator.... my .02

Don

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a similar problem, I took the easy(expensive:( ) way out and got a new electronic sequencer for Johns Classic Cougars. Haven't had a problem since.:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
clevelandcougar: how much was the sequencer? I'm curious cuz i might be needing one too.

The 1st two lights flash in sequence, then the 3rd one doesn't light up at all on mine. And that's what it does w/both sides. According to what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's the sequencer. Haven't actually done any checkin' out yet though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a new emergacy relay for mine. But am still having an off and on problem with them. I was told that I may have a bad ground some where and that has turned into one big jig saw puzzle. I have noticed that mine does it more often when my lights on the shifter are on.
By the way I use to live in Fairview Hights Il. (um teen years ago) and my home town is Marion Il. I have a son who still lives in the area on the Mo. side. From snow to the ocean I'll keep the ocean. Paul W. 67 std

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
67, when the sequencer rotates it opens and closes the contacts (similar to ignition points). If only the third light on each side is affected then that might indicate a dirty contact ...little bit of filing might just work! The white case opens easily and the contacts are accessible.

As for the elctronic sequencer, I've seen them in the Mustangs Unlimited catalogue for $79.95. Other vendors should be close to that price.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bruter,

most of the sequencer electronic units I've seen are more like $160-$170... I see here in MU that you can get JUST THE RELAY for $79... but the complete unit is $154.95...

what's just the relay used for????

(my new sequencer motor lost it's ooomph...)

Robert

·
Registered
428 Posts
OC_Cougar said:
Bruter,

most of the sequencer electronic units I've seen are more like $160-$170... I see here in MU that you can get JUST THE RELAY for $79... but the complete unit is $154.95...

what's just the relay used for????

(my new sequencer motor lost it's ooomph...)

Robert
OC,

The relay is used to switch between brake signale and blinker signal. Default it puts the brake signal through (that is when you apply it), but as soon as you turn on the turn signal or emergency signal it switches the lef/right/both taillight units to emit the signal coming from the sequencer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Matthijs

P.S. I checked my signal once too and I found out there was another relay there for which I did not see the point at all, but it was rusted so bad it did not work at all. Result was that only my center lights blinked while all lights did the brake signal... After short circuiting this relay everything works just fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK, I'm confused (which is pretty easily done)...

So, that relay on the MU pages for $79 would replace the Motor and White (points) box part? so if I have a bad motor and points, then this relay would replace that? and work for me?

Help me obiwan.. you're my only hope!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That's my understanding Robert....wether it works for you, well I don't know but if your sequencer is done it should. As for the confusion... maybe quit calling it a relay! :1poke: Give MU a call to confirm.

PS. I purchased a used electronic sequencer and will update once received and installed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
OC,

I'm not sure, but the head of the add says it's te sequencer (motor & contact points), but in the body of the add they say it replaces the relay. So my guess is that it is just the relay to switch from brake light to blinker and not the sequencer itself.
So if it is just the outer lights not blinking, I would say open the white box, pull the wire of the contact point with the smalles cam (this should be for the 3rd lights) and measure if there's any contact at all. If not, you've got your trouble maker.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
300 Posts
no, I know what the trouble with my sequencer is... the motor is bad, I replaced it and it worked for a while, now that new motor is too weak to turn the "crankshaft" over on the points.

After I do suspension and all those other goodies, I'll pick up the whole electronic unit I guess.

Ho hum...

Thanks though,
Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Update!!

I received the used electronic sequencer and installed it...Bingo!!:D Works like a dream!! So much so that I had to go out and check if it was working...no sound at all!! The unit is a CE-1 as in the MU catalogue for $79.95. MU should really change the description or at least get rid of the word "relay".

So Robert, the CE-1 unit replaces the mechanical sequencer (the Motor and White (points) box part).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts