Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I order a new turn signal switch from? Apparantly my left side works okay, but when you hit the right side, the bulb in the middle on the left comes on. Anyway, I'm going to replace all the trunk stuff with a solid-state unit from Cougars unlimited, but I'd like to do the switch too and don't see it there. Anyone think this might be just the Switch before I buy all of that. The sequencer works and the wiring doesn't look hacked up, so I figure I'm just going to do it all rather than pull my hair out. But if anyone thinks that's unnecessary, then let me know before I drop the 169 bucks for all the stuff in the trunk.

Thanks
Damon Kirk

·
Registered
428 Posts
What does the turn signal indicator in your instrument cluster do?
When that's working fine, I would say the switch is all right and it is something in the trunk causing problems.
Just my 0.02

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe they do a darned thing.

·
Registered
889 Posts
auto crafters

auto crafters have them 100-120 bucks.If there is a cross referance number to the er-stang it would probably be less.There is a differance in tilt wheel and regular.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
OEM and NOS switches

Catz,Switches are available and I bet Vic at Cougars unlimited does have the switch as he is the leading sequencer cat. If not though a good search thru vendors list and you will find em cheaper than $120. My last years catalogue suggests an OEM one is $75 and I got a price last week of an NOS 68/9 tilt for $125 from a pacific NW dealer.Very good idea to look at all grounds and contacts including inside the box. Note that the correct way to change and wire a turnsignal switch does not require snips. Follow Vic's trouble shooting guide its correct .Catzya

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought one from Johns Classic Cougars, wasn't too much pain and suffering to install, either. Be ready to remove the steering wheel, usually takes a puller and some persuasion... Mine came off with one guy just giving a light pull on the wheel and me TAPPING the stud with a hammer (Small) and punch so as to not booger up any threads. I stress "tapping" and "small", you don't want to replace your steering column.

You'll need a little tool to get the terminal ends out of the little crescent shaped plug... can be done with one of those tiny jewelers screwdrivers, but takes a little more patience.

Anyone who admits on this site to having a "little tool" well.... I pity you man.

Ron.

·
Registered
89 Posts
turnsignal switch

I just did this on my 68. It wasnt too painful to do, but the switch was not my problem. Some creative wiring repair on the tilt wheel was the culprit.
The whole turnsignal switch swap for me (w/tilt wheel) tool less than 2 hrs. Thats from pulling the steering wheel to putting the screws back on for the horn pad..
May I suggest that you do one thing. (Im color blind, so this may help)

Take a piece of cardboard and draw the crescent plug larger than it actually is. Snip the plug off the base of the harness leaving about 2" of wire sticking out. I believe that the 68 had 10 wires.
What I did was stick the wires through the cardboard that corresponded with their position on the plug so I didnt get any mixed up then pulled the wires up the column.
The new switch (johns classic cougars $95.00) came with the wire ends on it so I taped them all togehter and fed them down the column and put them in their corresponding places. This was pretty easy. BEAR IN MIND the new switch will have 2 more wires than you actually need. This is because the switch is also used on Tbirds which have cornering lights.

GOOD LUCK!
(PS I STILL HAVE THAT PIECE OF CARDBOARD IF YOU NEED HELP)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I work with a few guys that are red/green color blind... I went to college with one of em... knew him for at least 8 years before I figured it out... One guy I know is an artist named Chuck Frietag, he paints John Deere and International tractors... kind of ironic that they are green and red... His wife helps him from time to time to keep his paint pallet organized. Incredible detail and life-likeness... But this has nothing to do with turn signal switches, does it.

Ron.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I am red-green colorblind which is why I fix computers for the Navy vice Nuclear Reactors. I generally don't have a problem with wires though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Kirk, hit that green button.... not the red button dammit!!!... Could be a problem around a nuclear reactor, you think?

Most of the guys I know can tell the difference between really red and really green... It's the light colors and "pastels" that really mess with em'.

Ron.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Hey Ron....that scares me....doesn't green mean go and red mean stop? :1poke:

:eek2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
CougarGirl is right. Check out that link for a temporary fix until you get it replaced. I took a look at this when I first played with the circuit. Sounds like your problem is the main sequential relay, the big one in the trunk. If you get ahold of a metal fingernail file (if your married or have a girlfriend, get hers, just remember to replace it! :), that works best. Gently clean all of those contacts. They get burnt and oxidiezed over time. Just clean them up and you should be good to go. I cleaned mine and all is well now. Just be careful not to bend the contact arms, they are pretty thin. I bent one pretty bad, and was a pain to bend back into place.
At any rate, check out that link, it is pretty helpful. It got me going it just a few hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts